News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Show your immaculate Godet Spangen!

Guest Rick Research

It's a LONG way from up the Rufiji to Werner's bomb-proof vault high in the Riesengebirge. but I suppose you could say we're having a K?nigsberg theme this weekend what with Heiko's photo and that medal bar.

Hi Werner!

Great bar, that one of Vizeadmiral Max Loof (see Andreas' article on his very informative website http://www.medalnet.net/Colonial_Commemorative_Medal.htm ).... I can remember it very distinctly and vividly... Ex Siebentritt's collection and auctioneered by Kube a couple of years ago in a memorable one of a kind sale. I didn't know that it was a Godet bar, but from the neatly sewn ribbons and places decorations, it was almost immaginable.

Congrats!

:cheers:

Beautiful also the Waldeck's one.... :love:

Ciao,

Claudio

• 2 months later...

This is my latest acquisition... not so immaculate, but nevertheless quite nicely mounted and on the reverse the usual Godet's grey backing, this time with light moths' damage.

I am wondering if sucha a bar could be eventually researched... hopefully! Uncommon also the last two foreign awards (Italy, Ordine SS Maurizio e Lazzaro & Japanese red cross medal). Strange is also the Reserve Officer DA 1st class with silver gilted center, instead of Gold center... maybe a late issued piece?

Ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

Guest Rick Research

VERY interesting and nice bar, Claudio! I think this one MIGHT be identifiable from the RAO4, IM&L, and LD2/1--might have had either before the war but I suspect you are correct and it's a 1920 one, so LD2 is what will show in 1914. If VERY lucky he will turn up in Prussian or Reichs civil service lists 1918 confirming the Hessian and Schaumburg awards.

• 7 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

:speechless1: Don ANY bar with a "GSF3bX" is a treasure. Though that specific Class to natives is :banger: lost/missing at the Archives, awarded in 4 digits beginning with a 1 is never anything to sneeze at. :whistle:

AND beautiful, too. :cheers:

I've wanted one for years. I could have taken the easy way out (relatively speaking) and bought an unmounted one but I like to think of some young German officer earning this one eye-balls deep in trench fighting.

• 1 year later...

This is my latest acquisition... not so immaculate, but nevertheless quite nicely mounted and on the reverse the usual Godet's grey backing, this time with light moths' damage.

I am wondering if sucha a bar could be eventually researched... hopefully! Uncommon also the last two foreign awards (Italy, Ordine SS Maurizio e Lazzaro & Japanese red cross medal). Strange is also the Reserve Officer DA 1st class with silver gilted center, instead of Gold center... maybe a late issued piece?

I hoped I could find the wearer of Claudio's bar (from #108), but had no luck so far.

Maybe someone else wants to give it a try, with my additional puzzle parts from Munich's Hermann Historica's 44th auction from may 17th, 2oo3.

It started at 300,- Euros, "Zuschlag" at 360,- Euro.

If we assume both are legit, it's almost impossible they are not to the same wearer. So we can add a KO2(!) to our search as well als a CDIII of some grade, and a merit order from ecuador! Should help...

Possibly yet "aD" and the orders for his post-military carrer...

Very, very interesting, dear Sascha! Thanks for posting the tuxedo miniature chain... Very uncommon display of orders of different countries... from left to right, Ecuador "National Order of Merit", Japan "Red Cross Medal", China "Order of the Double Dragon", Italy "SS Maurizio & Lazzaro Order"... well at least a well travelled VIP or maybe a Diplomat? I couldn't explain so many countries being represented in a single group... :speechless1:

Gladly! So you do agree they are/were a set? All from the chain that was worn on a bar, is indeed on the tuxedo bar.

SS Maurizio & Lazzaro is having a crown on the chain, but not on the bar. That's a mistake I can imagine. All other awards - on the neck! This explains why the KO outranks the RAO: a KO3 would not, a KO2 would indeed.

Now to find him...

:unsure:

I hoped I could find the wearer of Claudio's bar (from #108), but had no luck so far.

Maybe someone else wants to give it a try, with my additional puzzle parts from Munich's Hermann Historica's 44th auction from may 17th, 2oo3.

If we assume both are legit, it's almost impossible they are not to the same wearer. So we can add a KO2(!) to our search as well als a CDIII of some grade, and a merit order from ecuador! Should help...

Hi Sascha,

I really believe that the miniature chain is from the same of owner of the bar. The combination is so unique that I don't think that there are many others with such Foreign awards (Ecuador, China, Japan and Italy!) and that Schaumburg Lippe cross... ;-)

ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys i was surfing on this topic and saw that this chain and possible the medalbar that Claudio posted may be of the same owner,this man was decorated with the ecuadorian merit order, so i want to do a question that goes a little bit out of the argument of the thread but here we goes... is possible that the owner was decorated with one of the three high grades (leaving aside the great collar) by the type of miniature on the chain? and that also will explain why the medal is not on the bar?

thanks by the info!

Cordial Greetings

Carlos

• 2 weeks later...

That Austrian Bravery Medal is an excellent strike. The whole bar is in such a good condition, I could imagine the recipient picking it up and wearing it today. Perhaps for the Vienna Ball season going on right now!

Thanks for showing it, and good luck on any future purchases.

• 3 months later...