News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1870 EK2 for the Battle of Mars-La-Tour

This lieutenant got his iron cross at Vionville 16th of august 1870. After von Bredow's Death Ride, the infantry from Brandenburg swept in, and with massive losses fought the french. Apparently it was here Koch got his wound.

Eduard Robert Felix Koch

8. Brandenburgisches Infanterie Regiment No. 64

Im September 1870 dem Second Leutnant E. Koch am Krankenbett nach Verwundung in Vionville verliehen

I've never seen such a well documented grouping before, almost to good to be true.

Shot by the new french armys breechloaded Chassepot.

Chassepot Geschoss durch welches Leut. Koch am 16. August 1870 bei Vionville verwundet. Extrahiert in Berlin im Hause der Eltern am 9. September durch Dr. Sch?nborn.

And this were not all, as I haven't posted some minor commemoratives, documents and awards to other members of the family.

The grouping were completely split up by the greedy seller, most of it were kept together, but at such cost! The vile dealer sure did maximize his profit.

Edited by RaZpuTiN

Well,I was also watching the auctions......and I'm sure nearly everybody who's collecting imperial medals! The group was really nice-did you win the most of the auctions? The price was far away from being realistic! The EK2,document and the two pieces of paper/cardboard for more than 18oo??? That are a thousand bucks for the cardbox and the letter? The seller did everything right to push the price-the heart of the grouping at last.......If it's yours now you've got something very special in your collection-just the amount of money was a bit much!

Micha

Well,I was also watching the auctions......and I'm sure nearly everybody who's collecting imperial medals! The group was really nice-did you win the most of the auctions? The price was far away from being realistic! The EK2,document and the two pieces of paper/cardboard for more than 18oo??? That are a thousand bucks for the cardbox and the letter? The seller did everything right to push the price-the heart of the grouping at last.......If it's yours now you've got something very special in your collection-just the amount of money was a bit much!

Micha

No, I didn't bid on it. Just thought we had to save this for posterity, as we won't see something like this in a long time.

I try to refrain from bidding on groupings that are being split up. It's a despicable action from the seller, to act on peoples will to keep something intact for future generations.

You are right... this is the best Iron Cross grouping I have ever seen.

What is in that ball of lint, inside the box? Is this the round that wounded him?

I would guess so. Here you could see what the whole muntion, with paper-cartridge and bullet, looked like.

Guest Rick Research

"this is the best Iron Cross grouping I have ever seen."

Wrong.

WAS.

138 years of careful preservation... pfffffffffffft.

"this is the best Iron Cross grouping I have ever seen."

Wrong.

WAS.

138 years of careful preservation... pfffffffffffft.

No. Everything you see, except the promotion docs, were kept together. Somebody opened his big wallet for this group.

One might object to the fact of letting the dealer maximize his profit. But at least it's "almost" intact and hopefully in the hands of someone with an genuine interest in history.

One thing is certain, he won't get his money back in an foreseeable future.

This from the Offizier-Stammliste of Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 64. It can be seen from this that Herr Koch eventually rose to the rank of char. Major and changed his name to Koch-Hagen in 1894. It also shows that he was wounded twice at Vionville: Shell splinter in the back and a gunshot wound to the left hip.

Regards

Glenn