News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Arthur Pascoe

This medal group consists of: The 1939-1945 Star, The Pacific Star, The 1939-1945 War Medal & Australian Service Medal. He served with the 104th Casualty Clearing Station. This unit treated POWs from Burma and New Guinea. I also have his Nominal Roll Card. I have requested and paid for his Service records from the australian Archives.

:beer: Doc

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting indeed. Did his service papers clear up promotion issues? Watched a good film about the campaign which is worth seeing..

New Guinea, 1942, Allied Australia is at war with Japan. A small platoon of reservist Australian soldiers have been sent as an advanced patrol up the Kokoda trail ? a critical supply line that separates Australia from full blown invasion.

After sustained bombardment from the Japanese, the men are cut off from their supply lines. Isolated in the jungle behind enemy lines, they must make their way back through the most unforgiving terrain on earth to reunite with the main body of Australian troops.

After three days without food or sleep, carrying their wounded and suffering the horrifying effects of dysentery and malaria, they emerge from the jungle exhausted to the point of collapse. But on learning that Isurava is about to fall they pick themselves up and rejoin the battle?

Inspired by real events and the Kokoda / Isurava memorial inscription of 'courage, mateship, endurance and sacrifice', Kokoda evokes the visceral and terrifying realities of warfare and their devastating effects on the human condition.

Very interesting indeed. Did his service papers clear up promotion issues? Watched a good film about the campaign which is worth seeing..

New Guinea, 1942, Allied Australia is at war with Japan. A small platoon of reservist Australian soldiers have been sent as an advanced patrol up the Kokoda trail ? a critical supply line that separates Australia from full blown invasion.

After sustained bombardment from the Japanese, the men are cut off from their supply lines. Isolated in the jungle behind enemy lines, they must make their way back through the most unforgiving terrain on earth to reunite with the main body of Australian troops.

After three days without food or sleep, carrying their wounded and suffering the horrifying effects of dysentery and malaria, they emerge from the jungle exhausted to the point of collapse. But on learning that Isurava is about to fall they pick themselves up and rejoin the battle?

Inspired by real events and the Kokoda / Isurava memorial inscription of 'courage, mateship, endurance and sacrifice', Kokoda evokes the visceral and terrifying realities of warfare and their devastating effects on the human condition.

Thanks!!! I'll have to track down the movie. I haven't received his Service records yet. They have been billed to my bank account so I should have them soon. I'll psot the info as soon as I get it.

Be sure to share your findings with us won`t you. I for one would be very interested to hear the answer. I wonder if he was a `bad egg`?

Just out of interest, was it only commonwealth troops that were awarded the Pacific Star?

As I understand it anyone meeting the award criteria earned the Pacific Star. I will post the info when the records come in. I wonder if he was in trouble just enough to avoid being discharged.

Guest Rick Research

The British Army-- and by extension, all the Commonwealth countries' armies-- have what is to the rest of us an inexplicable and bizarre habit of simply not promoting privates. Think of all the Victorian era medal groups for 40 year old privates with Long Service & Good Conduct Medals after 20 years time in. :speechless1:

I suppose the American practice of "90 day wonder" officers (you're 40 with a college degree-- you can be an Instant Major--all it takes is a World War!) in times of catastrophe is equally inexplicable to professional officer corps in other countries.

:jumping: Well, the research is in. :jumping: I am VERY impressed with the research documents and the folder they came form the Australian National Archives!!! :jumping: My guy was at times a bad boy. I've found four notations of "Conduct/Neglect Predjudice to Good Order and Military Discipline". He also qualified for and earned Proficiency Pay several times. So, He was a good/proficient medic that kept getting in trouble for the first couple of years. He did serve in New Guinea treating POWs after the war. I'll scan the documents and post them later today.

Edited by Riley1965

• 2 months later...