News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

2nd Tirailleurs Algerians

ccj

Hello ccj

Yours is the regimental unit number as worn with kaki uniform. I would rather say in use in the 1930s and during the first part of WW2 for Algerian and Tunisian Tirailleurs Regiments.

The 2nd was my father's regiment in February 1916 when they were engaged to check the onslaught of the German Army North of Verdun. He was then a "sous-lieutenant".

We have a picture of him in kaki uniform showing that the half-moon is added to the numeral on a light blue field, as it is the case for the "horizon-blue" officer's uniform shown by bab.

Regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

Hello ccj

Yours is the regimental unit number as worn with kaki uniform. I would rather say in use in the 1930s and during the first part of WW2 for Algerian and Tunisian Tirailleurs Regiments.

The 2nd was my father's regiment in February 1916 when they were engaged to check the onslaught of the German Army North of Verdun. He was then a "sous-lieutenant".

We have a picture of him in kaki uniform showing that the half-moon is added to the numeral on a light blue field, as it is the case for the "horizon-blue" officer's uniform shown by bab.

Regards

Veteran

Veteran, do you have photos of your father? I didn't realize the Tirailleurs wore blue after the war. I assumed they kept the khaki.

Charles

I was refering to the horizon-blue commandant's uniform you showed. The pictures of my father are all kaki uniforms, although the ocre tint of period photographs does not show this up very much.

The half-moon is clearly seen on its light blue background, but not the numeral 2. Also the tip of his fourrag?re worn unfolded with its end attached to the second button of his coat ("en bataille").

Sorry I could not furnish a better one

Regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

I was refering to the horizon-blue commandant's uniform you showed. The pictures of my father are all kaki uniforms, although the ocre tint of period photographs does not show this up very much.

The half-moon is clearly seen on its light blue background, but not the numeral 2. Also the tip of his fourrag?re worn unfolded with its end attached to the second button of his coat ("en bataille").

Sorry I could not furnish a better one

Regards

Veteran

Great photo Veteran.