News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A focus on LW collar tabs

As you all might have figured out by now, I have a strong attraction to LW tunics and collar tabs. Well, I am now focusing on tabs as they are more cost friendly(as my funding comes from trading extra items from my collection and the recycling of cans and bottles!) Now that you have seen my tunics, I want to show you what I have in the way of tabs. My goal is to perhaps create a page or reference that covers the various waffenfarbe of the Luftwaffe as well as different construction methods...

If you have some tabs to add to this thread, please do so. I just request that you hold off on posting until I have completed all of my scans :-) Again, this is a participation/study thread. All input and examples for your collection are encouraged and appreciated.

Warm regards

Paul Reck

First are my Judicial TSD Oberst tabs. Notice that the waffenfarbe is Weinrot. Close to the basic red found in the flak arm, yet more of a maroon color.

Edited by Paul R

• Replies 200
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reverse...

Notice the double material layer(red over white) on the reverse of the oberst tab(left). Also notice the method that the silver piping is attached to the tab. Also, notice the overlap of excess silver thread on the reverse of the tabs.(all officer tabs have the excess siliver piping... that I have seen anyway).

Edited by Paul Reck

Your will notice in this scan, the stiffening material is not the standard. It is a paper cardboard like material.

Also, you will notice a stamped "22" on the darker tab. Is that a maker mark? There also seems to be a multi layer of white on this tab as well. It is barely visable along the edges of the material.

Notice the difference in the sewing on the two tabs.

Edited by Paul Reck

Here is the reverse. Notice that the red portion is actually placed upon a slighly larger blue wafer. Also notice how the embroidery goes through an extra piece of thin white cloth. I am assuming that this method is a more complicated prewar process.

Input is appreciated.

Next up, we have a set of orange EM tabs. The prewar use of orange on officers collar tabs indicate a recalled/unassigned officer. The officer version was canceled before the war and the officers wore the tabs with the waffenfarbe consistant to their career field.

The use of Orange on the EM tabs indicate Luftwaffe Field police. These tabs were authorized in 1943. Before 1943, the field police shared a light blue waffenfarbe with the supply branch. I will show those tabs later in this thread.

Edited by Paul Reck

Reverse... notice the stiffener consists of the standardbuckram material. Also notice the snaps for easy removal from a tunic... Were these worn only while on duty or were they in this configuration for simply the ease of cleaning the tunic? If someone knows why tabs were placed in this manner, please educate me.

There seem to have originally been four snaps on each tab, as evidenced by marking/indentations in the void corners.

Edited by Paul Reck

Next up is the Signals Branch. Notice the unique manner in which this tab is constructed. Notice the copper colored highlights in the embroiderly. I feel this tab to be orignal. Who would go to such great extreme to create something so completely out of the norm to try and pass it as real? Notice also that the cloth itself is different from the norm as well. I believe that this was privately made for a taylored tunic.

Edited by Paul Reck

Reverse. The edges of the material appear to have been secured to the cloth stiffner by some sort of glue. Also the silver cord seems to be constructed from a different type of material than normally encountered.