News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

unofficial US medals

dragonreborn

As we have been dicussing US medals in this forum, I thought it'd be nice to discuss medals given to US serviceman both of the unofficial and campaign type medals.

First of all I am not a medal collector, US patches are more my style but I have seen some medals that were by far valued more than US medals of valor (except the MOH).

Let's start with the George's medal. After the battle of Guadal Canal the 1st Marine Div went to Australia. There the officers and senior NCO's had a medal made for themselves. I'm sure some can help with the discription but what I remember is, on the obverse was a soldier in a palm tree dopping either a hand grenade or a pineapple onto the head of another soldier, and on the reverse is the dates thet the marines were on the island. It is supended from a khaki ribbon and attached with a safety pin. I believe these medals (real as they are repro'd) are worth in the $800.00 to $1,000.00 usd price range.

Another medal is the Order of the Caribou. I have never seen the first style which I've been told is round but the second style is an enamel medal in a trianle shape with a caribou on the obverse. I have also been told that the officers of the Spanish American War formed a club and received the medal when they joined.

My understanding is the first style is a $1000.00 medal and the 2nd style will bring $500.00 to $600.00.

Now for medals that don't command much attention. Many of these were made by towns, cities and states after WWI. They were given to all their residents who served. here's a little story of one such medal. A friend of mine rescued a small grouping of a WWI soldier from going in the trash. He was from a small town in Maine. In the grouping were his dog tags, his collar buttons, his WWI Victory medal, some documents, and his service medal awarded by his town. (I forget the name of the town) On furthur investigation it wasa concluded that a total of 30 men had gone from this town to serve in the war, hence only 30 medals were made. It has to make me wonder how many have survived the ravages of time. I am almost sure that this medal wouldn't command any kind of price or respect from those who collect medals.

As for campaign medals let me mention the Sampson medal and the Dewey medal. I'll let someone else (hopefully) make some comments on those.

Chuck

Here is a link that explains the George medal. According to the article, only 50 were made! There is even a picture of one. Definately an interesting read!

I would think that if you could even find one for sale, it would go for a heck of a lot more than $1,000!

http://www.nps.gov/wapa/indepth/extContent...117-00/sec6.htm

Paul

Edited by Paul Reck

There is also the SooChow creek medal, the Naples medal, Cinncinatus, vast numbers of GAR medals, the Southern Cross of Honor and other "Confederate Society awards, Indian tribes, the MOLLUS, Hereditary Society medals (some of which are very,very,valuable), the VFW and American Legion badges and best of all-the Order of the Cootie. :beer:

There is also the SooChow creek medal, the Naples medal, Cinncinatus, vast numbers of GAR medals, the Southern Cross of Honor and other "Confederate Society awards, Indian tribes, the MOLLUS, Hereditary Society medals (some of which are very,very,valuable), the VFW and American Legion badges and best of all-the Order of the Cootie. :beer:

Of the medals you mentioned, I like the story of the ShoChow Creek medal the best!

http://history.acusd.edu/gen/projects/moss...namarines2.html

Edited by Paul Reck

For the early un-official, society awards there is this book:

"American Orders & Societies and their Decorations"

orginally published by Bailey, Banks and Biddle, 1901

It's in reprint by the London stamp exchange ltd. Should be able to find it on line.

ISBN 048130938

Paul, great stuff. My friend has a georges medal I believe is 99% real. Not being a medal guy I'd have difficulty with the id. Here's how he got it. A friend of his was an antique dealer in Portland, Me. years ago. He was cleaning out a house in Portland and came upon this medal. It was the only piece of militaria in the house. He offered it to my friend who picked it up. I have looked it over a couple of times but have yet to have the money to purchase it. Maybe I can get a pic of it next summer when he comes back from Okla.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a collection of some of these rare medals.

Chuck

I dont collect US medals, yet if I had a known original it would be the center piece! That is if I did not lock it up in a safety deposite box first. If you were to buy it for what you estimated, IMHO you would be getting it for a real steal.

I feel that something this rare would be very difficult to put a price on... I live about 10 mins from Portland. What shop is it in again...

:cheeky:

I look forward to seeing a picture of it! I hope that you are able to buy it!

Edited by Paul Reck

I dont collect US medals, yet if I had a known original it would be the center piece! That is if I did not lock it up in a safety deposite box first. If you were to buy it for what you estimated, IMHO you would be getting it for a real steal.

I feel that something this rare would be very difficult to put a price on... I live about 10 mins from Portland. What shop is it in again...

:cheeky:

I look forward to seeing a picture of it! I hope that you are able to buy it!

No shop, and currently he's in Oklahoma for the winter. He does however set up at the cascade Flea Market in Saco during the summer. But I can guarantee you he doesn't bring along this medal. You should come down sometime he does pick up some nice stuff, but i usually get first dibs on the German collectibles and the US patches.

Chuck

Maybe next summer we can set up a date on a weekend and I'll talk to him about bringing that medal if you'd like to see it.

No shop, and currently he's in Oklahoma for the winter. He does however set up at the cascade Flea Market in Saco during the summer. But I can guarantee you he doesn't bring along this medal. You should come down sometime he does pick up some nice stuff, but i usually get first dibs on the German collectibles and the US patches.

Chuck

Maybe next summer we can set up a date on a weekend and I'll talk to him about bringing that medal if you'd like to see it.

That would be awesome! Does he live in MA or Maine during the summer. Saco is 10 mins from here!

View with chain hanger -

Here is a site that has one for sale. It is on a lt blue ribbon versus the chain yours is on. I cannot vouch for the authenticity of the medal or the vendor's reputation, yet he feels that it is worth 114 dollars. It is about halfway down the page.

http://www.treasurebunker.com/acatalog/Cat..._Badges_20.html

Here is his site. I see a lot of other sites with it listed from 3 to 8 dollars. I assume these to be repros as there are not even any photos on the sites.

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul! Interesting that the website has three of these medals for sale, all for the same high price, with different ribbons and one with a different image on the medal. I recall being told that these were knocked out by local merchants and sold as souviners to any soldier. Kevin

Thanks Paul! Interesting that the website has three of these medals for sale, all for the same high price, with different ribbons and one with a different image on the medal. I recall being told that these were knocked out by local merchants and sold as souviners to any soldier. Kevin

No problem Kevin...

I find it odd that this is the only real site that has them for sale?! Although there are a few on Ebay at very reasonable prices... I guess that these were cranked out by the thousands. If I were a betting man, I would count on these being the real deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/A11-Medal-WWII-Allies-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Paul Reck

No problem Kevin...

I find it odd that this is the only real site that has them for sale?! Although there are a few on Ebay at very reasonable prices... I guess that these were cranked out by the thousands. If I were a betting man, I would count on these being the real deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/A11-Medal-WWII-Allies-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Yup - I'm not expert, but it appears to be real. Not quite the same as mine though, there are several variations in design and text. Interesting that most of these medals appear to originate from the UK. Is this considerred a British Medal? Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

• 4 weeks later...