News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kav. Rgt. 5 Eskadron Chef ?

Guest Rick Research

Unless you have somebody famous there, that falls into the gap in published army rank lists-- none after the 1932 edition. (They cleverly stopped producing them to disguise their illegal rearmament and ... no foreign "intelligence" noticed! :speechless: ) I've got the January 1939 "secret" list, which was publicly published once and only once-- in 1953, barring the original classified copies out there.

In between...

a void

Robin,

the Chef of 2./K.R. 5 in April 1934 was one Rittmeister (1.2.31) Krahmer. He was already a Major by 1.1.36 (28) and was in Kavallerie-Regiment Nr. 8 by October 1938. Promoted to Oberst on 1.1.42 (43) and certainly still alive in 1944. However probably not your man but I can hopefully confirm on Friday.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Robin,

I am pleased to be able to tell you that your plate was once the property of one Generalmajor Vollrath von Hellermann, holder of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross!

General von Hellermann, born 18 May 1900 at Ratzeburg commanded 2./Kavallerie-Regiment 5 from 15 October 1935 until 12 October 1937 when he was assigned to the staff of the H?here Kavallerie-Offizier 4 at Hannover. He won the Deutsches Kreuz on 20 Sep 1942 and the Knight's Cross on 21 Nov 1942 for his actions as the regimental commander of Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 21. He spent much of the latter part of the war on the staff of the OKH eventually rising to the rank of Generalmajor on the 1st of October 1944 as the inspector of Officer Careers. He died in M?nchen on the 25th of August 1971.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: You lucked out there! I'd have expected a 1937 Rittmeister to have ended the war as an Oberstleutnant-- those two gongs with their retroactive seniority rights sure helped!

He was actually quite a late bloomer-- did not JOIN the army until 1 March 1924 (I'd have expected summer 1918 from his age)--

Leutnant 1.12.27 #16

Oberleutnant

Rittmeister 1.5.35 #43

Major 1.2.40

Oberstleutnant 1.4.42

Oberst 1.2.43 #56

Generalmajor 1.10.44 # 33

:Cat-Scratch: You lucked out there! I'd have expected a 1937 Rittmeister to have ended the war as an Oberstleutnant-- those two gongs with their retroactive seniority rights sure helped!

He was actually quite a late bloomer-- did not JOIN the army until 1 March 1924 (I'd have expected summer 1918 from his age)--

Leutnant 1.12.27 #16

Oberleutnant

Rittmeister 1.5.35 #43

Major 1.2.40

Oberstleutnant 1.4.42

Oberst 1.2.43 #56

Generalmajor 1.10.44 # 33

Thanks Rick. That additional info is appreciated.

Was this fellow a Spanish Civil War veteran?

Best, Sal

Sal.

Not as far as I know. The skull relates to Kav.Rgt.5, which was the 'Traditionsregiment' of the old Leibhusaren.

The dish arrived in the mail the other day and is actually in '835' silver. The quality of the engraving is fantastic - just like something out of the 'regimental silverwear'. It's one of the nicest things I've managed to get from eBay so far. Luckily, it was hidden away in an obscure section of their site.

• 2 weeks later...