News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I try to find a match without reading the name. I try with BV3 connection. I guess see two pips on shoulderboards. Few days before this meeting, oberst hermann von Brandehrens received BV3 on 19 June 1916. We need expert on Süterlin to decrypt the name

Christophe

Edited by Deruelle

Salut Christophe!

What do you read at the reverse? Suwalki?

I´msorry, but I must leave now,(shopping) but I´ll be back in a few hours.

I have to hurry up, because we have a "journée des portes ouvertes de corps de pompiers volontaires"... You know, what that means... :cheers: + :beer: =:speechless: (:whistle: )

The officer to the Grand Duke's left and the viewer's right is Oberstleutnant a.D. Heinrich Feill. He received the Order of Berthold I, Knight with Swords, on 17 Feb. 1916 as commander of 6. Landsturm-Inf.-Btl. Heidelberg XIV/37.

The officer at the far right with the Adjutant's badge and Berthold commander's cross around his neck is Gen.d.Inf. Carl Dürr, Generaladjutant S.K.H. des Großherzogs. He kind of looks like Scotty from Star Trek.

Edited by Dave Danner

6. Landsturm-Inf.-Btl. Heidelberg XIV/37 was assigned to the 10. Armee on the Eastern Front.

Second from right, next to Gen. Dürr, is an officer with Bavarian general's Kragenspiegel. This would appear to be Generalmajor z.D. Karl Schupbaum. He was Inspekteur des Militär-Bezirks III, Etappen-Inspektion 10. His headquarters was in ... you guessed it ... Suwalki. :beer:

Next to him, and between him and Feill, appears to be Generalmajor z.D. Georg Heer. He was Inspekteur d. Militär-Bezirks I, Wilna.

These pictures were taken in Verdun summer 1917.

v Garnier was Kmdr of Maarsgruppe Ost (from V Res Korps, I suppose). It had two Baden divisions under it: 28 Res Div under Alfred Zeithen and 228 ID under Paul v d Heyde ( and 25 Res Div with a Württemberg Gen Alfred Mohn) . I have never seen pictures of Paul Heinrich Sigusmund v d Heyde. But there was a Hermann Heinrich Sigismund v d Heyde that commanded 29 Badische ID. Were they related? The tiny pic I posted may indeed show Paul v d Heyde.

So v Garnier was here with Langer who was Kmdr of 28 Badische ID. 28 ID for sure participated in the Verdun Stellungkampfe under Maarsgruppe West (v Francois) and Maarsgruppe Ost.

Cheers

Freiherr

The two Generals von der Heyde were third cousins:

┌─Paul Heinrich Sigismund Adrian (1862-1946)

┌─Paul Heinrich Sigismund August (1836-1910)

┌─Friedrich Wilhelm (1798-1864)

Johann Daniel von der Heyde (1750-1808)

└─Detlaw Gustav Friedrich Wilhelm (1785-1863)

└─Friedrich Heinrich Sigismund (1816-1900)

└─Hermann Heinrich Sigismund (1857-1942)

Regards

The NCO two rows behind the Grand Duke is probably Feldwebelleutnant Wilhelm Strobel. He received the Merit Cross of the Order of the Zähringen Lion on the ribbon of the Karl Friedrich Military Merit Order on 20.7.1916.

Oberlt.d.L.a.D. Eduard Erxleben and Lt.d.L. Kurt Wibel received their Zähringen Lion Knight's Cross 2nd Class with Swords on the same date. They are probably this guy and the guy behind him:

post-6460-0-58605200-1311395952.jpg

The two officers to the Grand Duke's right (our left) with the Knight's Cross 2nd Class with Oakleaves and Swords are probably Hauptmann Hermann Koch and Hauptmann d.L. Franz Walter.

The officer over the Grand Duke's left shoulder with the cigar may be Hauptmann d.L. Friedrich Krank, who received the Knight's Cross 1st Class with Swords on 17.2.1916. However, the medal bar shows a peacetime Zähringen Lion to go with his Baden Jubilee Medal and LD2, which doesn't show up in the 1914 ranklist. Krank was a Notar in the Amtsgericht Kehl II, Landgerichtsbezirk Offenburg, so he might have gotten the peacetime award sometime in 1914.

Oh my god!

You made a phantastic work!!!!!!!! Thank you very much for ID this photo!!!!!

So we have officers from the 6th Ldst.Btl of Heidelberg (XIV.37)

I have the following infos about that unit:

Set up from the 4.Kp./2.Ldst.Inf.Btl. Karlsruhe (XIV.15), the 4th Kp./2.Ldst.Inf.Ers.Btl.Freiburg (XIV.2) and a new company of the Ldst.Inf.Ers.Btl.Rastatt (XIV.28). Mobilization 8.12.15 and under command of 10th army and later Armee-Abteilung D

I found this tiny Dürr from my files. It is from a "famous sons" site of some Baden city.

I have him also as:

Kmdr SeeBtl Jiaozhou Bay

Inspk of Marine Infantry

with OBKmdo über das Marine-Expeditonskorps im Herero Krieg 04

And Dave, thanks for the added info on the v d Heyde's

Cheers

Elwyn