News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mysteries

• 3 weeks later...

I am somewhat certain that the middle one-lower row is Congolese.

Shako

I'm glad that Ulsterman said "congolese" for the bottom middle one. I was going to stick my neck WAY out and, on nothing but gut instinct, say "Try Belgium". So Congo makes sense. I wonder if the bottom right might be Belgian? (or possibly Dutch?) based on the general style, nothing more, and a very very hazy memory of something similar years ago. Aritllery artificer??

My tuppence worth -and cheap at half the price :7)

Peter Monahan

Shako

I'm glad that Ulsterman said "congolese" for the bottom middle one. I was going to stick my neck WAY out and, on nothing but gut instinct, say "Try Belgium". So Congo makes sense. I wonder if the bottom right might be Belgian? (or possibly Dutch?) based on the general style, nothing more, and a very very hazy memory of something similar years ago. Aritllery artificer??

My tuppence worth -and cheap at half the price :7)

Peter Monahan

Thank you, Gentlemen, for your comment . . . most welcome

The gilt badge, bottom centre could possibly be Congolese, I thought is could be African, myself, but have not seen anything like it before. It is nicely made, die-struck, in thin brass, 47mm high with a central screw fastening. No maker's name, but it has a "made in U.S.A." look about it. On the other hand, it is not as solidly made as the U.S. badges usually are. Mysteriously, it has a Latin motto "Vincit Amor Partriae and the initials HMR

The two scans attached are added out of interest. These are both from Congo (Brazzaville) and are the first pattern Army vadge and the second pattern (the enamelled one) which I think is still in use.

Belgian Congo/Zaire/ congo whatever it is now have entirely different badges, but nothing simillar to the one discussed above.

The second badge, bottom right, is also die-struck, in brass, 53mm high, with spilit-pin loops N-S. I would guess it is British made, but I do not know a British badge of this design. Could be Naval, perhaps, or coast artillery and probably not a cap badge.

Thanks again,

Brian

[attachmentid=18790]

• 1 year later...

The badge on the right, bottom row is Spanish. It is a 1910 Artificer badge.

It was normally worn with a crown on the upper left sleeve. The crown may have been removed after the settlement of a Republican regime, in 1931 (or lost... )

My reference :

Carlos Medina Avila "Organizacion y Uniformes de la Artilleria Espanola", Madrid, Aldaba, 1992, pp. 108-109

• 4 weeks later...

The badge on the right, bottom row is Spanish. It is a 1910 Artificer badge.

It was normally worn with a crown on the upper left sleeve. The crown may have been removed after the settlement of a Republican regime, in 1931 (or lost... )

My reference :

Carlos Medina Avila "Organizacion y Uniformes de la Artilleria Espanola", Madrid, Aldaba, 1992, pp. 108-109

Thanks, Iffiq and Antonio Pietro, for your comments - most interesting and helpful,

Brian