News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chris

I'll start you out with this one: Officer's M-1910 ulanka for Ulanen-Regt. Konig Karl (1. Wurttemberg) Nr. 19. Aside from the three Prussian guard ulan regiments, UR 19 was the only other ulan regiment allowed litzen on their feldgrau uniforms.

Regards

Dave

19bwx6.jpg

19rearkq5.jpg

19clupex4.jpg

Officer's ulanka, tschapka and schirmmutze for Ulanen-Regt. Hennigs von Treffenfeld Nr. 16. The two piping colors (light blue and white) are unique to UR12 and UR16 vs. the single piping color on the remainder of the uhlan regiments.

Dur16ati8.jpg

Officer's ulanka, tschapka and schirmmutze for Ulanen-Regt. Hennigs von Treffenfeld Nr. 16. The two piping colors (light blue and white) are unique to UR12 and UR16 vs. the single piping color on the remainder of the uhlan regiments.

Beautiful tunics.

Dur16ati8.jpg

WOW!! That is absolutely gorgeous!!! Now judgeing from the medals, was this an observer in a Flying Corps Squadron?

Dave now the Tschapka, what kind of date would you put that in? Does it have the wooden motor-board rather than a metal one?

Thank you both for your comments.

Chris:

When I bought the tunic, the boards were missing and the buttons were steel, painted browish-green, so the wearer could have been from either UR12 or UR16. The only thing I had to go from was the placement of the breast awards, the Turkish half moon (which is a screw-back and was on the tunic) and the HHOX on the ribbon. Well, based on a leap of faith that the tunic has not been "altered" in the past 87 years (with the exception of the removal of the boards), and that there was only one HHOX awardee in either UR 12 or UR 16, here is what I have found on that one awardee, Lt. Hans Heinrich Deetjen.

-Hans Deetjen is born in Allenstein (E. Prussia) on 8/19/94

-Recieved his patent as a leutnant to UR 16 on 10/29/14

-Posted to FEA 1 and 2. FFA (Boyen) late 1914 to eary 1915. These units were combined to become FFA 58 on 4/1/15.

-Qualified as an Beobachter (observer) most likely in early 1915.

-FFA 58 sent to Poland/Russia 5/15/15 as part of 8. Armee, most likely in the Baltic area.

-FFA 58 and FAA 284 are combined on 11/29/16 and was transferred from Russia to France on 12/9/16.

-FFA 58/FAA 284 posted to Armee-Abteilung B. on 12/16/17 near Colmar, France

-FFA 58/FAA 284 posted to AA B Fliegergruppe Sud on 4/1/17.

-Mentioned in the Nachrichtenblatt in 6/15/17

-Recieved the HHOX in summer 1917 as an observer w/ FAA 284.

-Schutzstaffel (Schusta) 9 is created on 1/1/17 and I assume the Deetjen is posted to this unit.

-Schusta 9 becomes Schlactstaffel (Schlasta) 9 on 3/27/18 and Lt. Hans Deetjen is named leader of the unit

-Lt. Hans Deetjen is killed in action on 3/28/18 at Pont de la Deule, France.

Now, for the lingering questions: How would Deetjen recieve the Gallipoli star? His service appears to have been in Poland, the Baltic area of Russia, and France. Having said that, neither UR 12 or UR 16 served near Turkey. Also, There are loops for a third award, next to the EK1 and observers badge, possibly a turkish pilot's badge???? ( I have seen an observerer with this badge in a photo before). The other badges and the slip-on aviator boards on the tunic were added, but all fit the loops on the tunic. The schirmmutze for either of these two units is quite scarce. Notice that the white piping was not utilized on the bottom of the cap band. Although I purchased the cap and boards separately, the boards are the proper M-1915 double piping for this unit and have flieger props with no extra holes and the feldgrau on the cap is a dead ringer for the cloth on the ulanka, so who knows...

Interestly, there was an Oblt. Henning v. dem Knesebeck with UR 16 was also posted to FAA 284 and served with Deetjen, but he didn't recieve the HHOX and was killed on 8/22/17. I found a web site, www.buddecke.de that have several pictures of Deetjen in a photo album from Fliegerabteilung Artillerie 284, which may be of interest.

uhlan16capdt0.jpg

ur16bbt3.jpg

To answer your question about the officer's tschapka, the body is all in leather (including the motar board) and has the national cockade, indicating that the helmet was used post-1897. Although I have seen some metal erzatz motarboards, I have never seen one in wood.

Regards

Dave

Edited by dwmosher

Thank you both for your comments.

Chris:

When I bought the tunic, the boards were missing and the buttons were steel, painted browish-green, so the wearer could have been from either UR12 or UR16. The only thing I had to go from was the placement of the breast awards, the Turkish half moon (which is a screw-back and was on the tunic) and the HHOX on the ribbon. Well, based on a leap of faith that the tunic has not been "altered" in the past 87 years (with the exception of the removal of the boards), and that there was only one HHOX awardee in either UR 12 or UR 16, here is what I have found on that one awardee, Lt. Hans Heinrich Deetjen.

-Hans Deetjen is born in Allenstein (E. Prussia) on 8/19/94

-Recieved his patent as a leutnant to UR 16 on 10/29/14

-Posted to FEA 1 and 2. FFA (Boyen) late 1914 to eary 1915. These units were combined to become FFA 58 on 4/1/15.

-Qualified as an Beobachter (observer) most likely in early 1915.

-FFA 58 sent to Poland/Russia 5/15/15 as part of 8. Armee, most likely in the Baltic area.

-FFA 58 and FAA 284 are combined on 11/29/16 and was transferred from Russia to France on 12/9/16.

-FFA 58/FAA 284 posted to Armee-Abteilung B. on 12/16/17 near Colmar, France

-FFA 58/FAA 284 posted to AA B Fliegergruppe Sud on 4/1/17.

-Mentioned in the Nachrichtenblatt in 6/15/17

-Recieved the HHOX in summer 1917 as an observer w/ FAA 284.

-Schutzstaffel (Schusta) 9 is created on 1/1/17 and I assume the Deetjen is posted to this unit.

-Schusta 9 becomes Schlactstaffel (Schlasta) 9 on 3/27/18 and Lt. Hans Deetjen is named leader of the unit

-Lt. Hans Deetjen is killed in action on 3/28/18 at Pont de la Deule, France.

Now, for the lingering questions: How would Deetjen recieve the Gallipoli star? His service appears to have been in Poland, the Baltic area of Russia, and France. Having said that, neither UR 12 or UR 16 served near Turkey. Also, There are loops for a third award, next to the EK1 and observers badge, possibly a turkish pilot's badge???? ( I have seen an observerer with this badge in a photo before). The other badges and the slip-on aviator boards on the tunic were added, but all fit the loops on the tunic. The schirmmutze for either of these two units is quite scarce. Notice that the white piping was not utilized on the bottom of the cap band. Although I purchased the cap and boards separately, the boards are the proper M-1915 double piping for this unit and have flieger props with no extra holes and the feldgrau on the cap is a dead ringer for the cloth on the ulanka, so who knows...

Interestly, there was an Oblt. Henning v. dem Knesebeck with UR 16 was also posted to FAA 284 and served with Deetjen, but he didn't recieve the HHOX and was killed on 8/22/17. I found a web site, www.buddecke.de that have several pictures of Deetjen in a photo album from Fliegerabteilung Artillerie 284, which may be of interest.

uhlan16capdt0.jpg

ur16bbt3.jpg

To answer your question about the officer's tschapka, the body is all in leather (including the motar board) and has the national cockade, indicating that the helmet was used post-1897. Although I have seen some metal erzatz motarboards, I have never seen one in wood.

Regards

Dave

My one

Dur16ati8.jpg

Dave could we get a close up shot of the Tschapka's motorboard? I have on in metal, and one in leather (dunno why I said wood--was I thinking Austrian pre 1870?) Really interested in the differences between the manufacturing styles.

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen,

From what I can gather, this Uhlan Tunic and Mutze represents the 2nd Hannoversches Dragoner Regiment Nr. 16. Please assist if further info is available.

Regards,

Joel

It is not an Ulan tunic (Ulanka) It appears to be a Litewka or more likely a Dragoner ?berrock (cant see how long it is).

Edited by Naxos

Naxos,

That is indeed the same garment! Unfortunately, it's missing the shoulderboards and mine has a few month nips. I assume the Officer's grade Uberrock is more sought after? Sorry for misposting this as an Uhlan Tunic guys! It is my first venture into buying Imperial cloth.

Regards,

Joel

• 2 weeks later...

Naxos,

That is indeed the same garment! Unfortunately, it's missing the shoulderboards and mine has a few month nips. I assume the Officer's grade Uberrock is more sought after? Sorry for misposting this as an Uhlan Tunic guys! It is my first venture into buying Imperial cloth.

Regards,

Joel

Hi Joel!

Dragoons is awesome in itself. Thank you for posting this! I am just now researching the uniforms of the dragoons -- awesome post thank you! :)