News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

15 medal group

Kvart

I'm thinking about buying this group, but I'm not quite sure... None of the medals are named. Seller says they came like this with a uniform that he bought.

What do you think, could this be a made up piece? Is it likely that one person would get both medals for war against terror?

Edited by Kvart

Reserve Enlisted(perhaps got a commission later).

I DONT think that this set is possible. We are talking about 50 years of service here(Korea 50-3 and the earliest possible awarding for the GWOTE medal is 2003). There would be two stars on the National Defense. Also, where is the Korean Campaign medal? If someone had the UN medal for it, would they not also have the campaign medal?

Wrong UN medal. That is not a Korean Service, its something else. I don't think its enlisted because of the lack of a good conduct. Its probabey from a reserve junior type officer (since there isn't a Navy Commendation medal of higher) that was sent to some command in the gulf war like in Riyadh or Bahrain.

The question I have is that Saudi medal. The rumor was issue pieces were gold, but who knows.

I personnl think this is just some reservist group, nothing special.

Edited by Daniel Cole

Yeah, I figured WO/officer type because of the lack of a GC, but what operations got an Exped. medal and/or that UN medal? Haiti? Bosnia? and NO Humanitarian medal?

Somalia?

Edited by Ulsterman

Thank you for all your answers.

The UN medal is most likely UNTSO (Palestine, Egypt, Suez Canal, UNIFIL and around that area).

What would such a group be worth?

Not sure if any American would qualify for U.N.I.F.I.L. (United Nations Interim Force In Lebanon)

but, I stand open for correction :unsure:

but more likely U.N.D.O.F. (United Nation Disengagement Observer Force.) or

U.N.T.S.O. (United Nations Truce Supervision Organization).

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Ah- 1983 or the later evacuation?

Pity the US doesn't engrave their commendation and bravery medals.

Thinking UNTSO naval extraction sorts. Had a (reluctant) university (NROTC) 'professor' who was there and wore the ribbon and who got never-ending questions (and challenges) from me.

And your comments on US medals are 'dead-on', but there are so many 'being there' awards.

Guest Rick Research

Unnamed and zero documentation would have to say the value is whatever the individual medals accumulate to.

Guest Darrell

UN Medals: UNTSO

UNITED NATIONS TRUCE SUPERVISION ORGANIZATION

Established in June 1948 to assist the Mediator and the Truce Commission in supervising the truce in Palestine called for by the Security Council. Since its inception, UNTSO has performed various tasks entrusted to it by the Security Council, including the observation of the cease-fire in the Suez Canal area and the Golan Heights following the Arab-Israeli war of June 1967. At present, UNTSO assists and cooperates with UNDOF and UNIFIL in the performance of their tasks; observer groups are stationed in Beirut and in Cairo with liaison offices in Amman and Gaza City. UNTSO also provided cadres of Military Observers for the initial set-up of UNGOMAP, UNIMOG, UNIKOM and UNPROFOR.

The ribbon has a UN blue background with two narrow white stripes, the colours of the UN. Six months service is the eligibility period for service with UNTSO.

The following countries have provided Military Observers who are eligible for the award of this medal: Australia, Argentina, Belgium, Burma, Canada, Chile, the People's Republic of China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, Nepal, the Kingdom of the Netherlands, Norway, Peru, Portugal, the Russian Federation, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand. Those Military Observers of Austria, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Ireland and Sweden who are assigned to UNTSO as a parent mission and then detached for service with UNGOMAP are also eligible, after 90 days of qualifying service, for the award of the UNTSO medals bearing a clasp indicating service with UNGOMAP. At present, UNTSO assists and cooperates with UNDOF on the Golan Heights in the Israel-Syria sector, and with UNIFIL in the Israel-Lebanon sector.

Edited by Darrell

Here a crazy hypothesis for the UN medal: I was a USN exchange officer assigned to the Federal Germany Navy for a period of 2 years 1989 -1991. I served in Minehunters and on the Staff of the mine flottilla. So perhaps if this is real, the Junior officer was a similar exchange officer assigned to a Nato navy. That could possibley explain it.

Just a WAG.

Also i'm thinking navy because of the NAM. Could be a Marine.

Edited by Daniel Cole

Here a crazy hypothesis for the UN medal: I was a USN exchange officer assigned to the Federal Germany Navy for a period of 2 years 1989 -1991. I served in Minehunters and on the Staff of the mine flottilla. So perhaps if this is real, the Junior officer was a similar exchange officer assigned to a Nato navy. That could possibley explain it.

Just a WAG.

Also i'm thinking navy because of the NAM. Could be a Marine.

Hallo Dan :beer:

I believe the U.N. ribbon is indicative of the mission served

and he would require at least 90 days service to qualify for a U.N. Medal,

if N.A.T.O. connected service, would that rate a U.N. award??

Kevin in Deva (ex U.N.I.F.I.L.) :beer:

The US, thinking they are beyond the rules, does tend to use this generic ribbon as a substitute for all UN services. :banger:

However, I still think this (hypothetical) person was in (or around) UNOGIL.

Again, the young naive US Naval LT who tried to teach me "Naval History" (and who had took no joy from it) in ca. 1968 wore this ribbon.

What's the fourth medal, top row? At first, i thought it was USMC Good Conduct, but it doesn't have the rifle suspender. It's in the right place for a Good Conduct, but...??? If some sharp eye can figure that out, that may unlock the mystery.

Hugh

The UN Medal confused me at first as well.

However, this one is the "UN Medal", not the "UN Service Medal". According to the US Army, it was awarded as follows:

"been in the service of the United Nations, for a period of not less

than 6 months, with one of the following:

(1) United Nations Observation Group in Lebanon (UNOGIL).

(2) United Nations Truce Supervision Organization in Palestine

(UNTSO).

(3) United Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan

(UNMOGIP).

(4) United Nations Security Forces, Hollandia (UNSFH)."

This WOULD NOT have been given as a NATO award, as was suggested. Someone noted that "The US, thinking they are beyond the rules, does tend to use this generic ribbon as a substitute for all UN services."--- This is simply not true. At least in the Army, wearing it for a generic UN ribbon would be a uniform violation and cause for punishment.

4th from left on top is, as noted above, Navy Reserve Meritorious Service Medal, and required 3-4 years in the Naval Reserve.

Basically, I agree with the previous comments. This is a possible set of ribbons, though pretty extensive, especially for a reservist. Bronze Star without "V"-- at a guess, Desert Storm or later (1990s)-- they were not common during Vietnam. Also note lack of Vietnam ribbons, which indicates (does not prove) service started after Mid-1970s. Joint Service Commendation Medal (could have been in conjunction with one of the WOT deployments, or service on a joint staff). Navy Achievement Medal. Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (lots of ways to get this one, starting with Korea in the 1960s-1970s). Various Desert Storm Medals (and the original issue Saudi ones given to the US were NOT gold, though I have heard that some of the ones given to Saudi Leadership were.) I think the black ones at bottom right are Navy Marksmanship Ribbons. Getting two of the WOT medals is not that rare, so again possible. So I would guess a 20 year service senior Naval NCO/PO, probably in support units. However, no significant "retirement award", unless that was the Joint Service Commendation Medal, so probably not very senior nor an officer.

Is it real? Who knows, but it appears possible. What is it worth? In the absence of full provenence (e.g. the servicemember's DD form 214) whatever the medals themselves are worth. Nothing very rare or valuable.

That makes one busy reservist... This is more medals than I have seen on even active duty members! Perhaps a reserve SEAL or SPEC OPs guy?

Hallo Paul R :beer:

I am afraid that with no paperwork for verification then its all speculation, its just as easily a put together set :(

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Hallo Paul R :beer:

I am afraid that with no paperwork for verification then its all speculation, its just as easily a put together set :(

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Yep! That is my indirect point. It is a shame really, if it is a legit grouping. It is worthless as a group without the award documents(or DD214) to back it up. I am tempted to have my medals engraved...

yeah- a very busy reservist.

Who are the busiest reservists who get sent all over the world?

Medical and communications/linguistics, followed by engineers (I think).

Don't reserve POs also receive the good conduct medal?