News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Spain

jzab

I recently purchased this item INSIGNIA DE LOS ALF?RECES PROVISIONALES (VIUDAS) on ebay from Spain. A literal translation reads ' STANDARD OF THE PROVISIONAL LIEUTENANTS (WIDOWS) '. I had previously seen this badge and a very short description stating that it is a type of military NOK badge. I also have a pic of one that was described as a civilian NOK badge. I have them both pictured in my album but will paste them here as well. I am looking for information on these items for the 2nd volume of my Wound Medals, Badges & NOK awards book. Any assistance will be acknowledged and very much appreciated. thanks.

• 9 months later...

I recently purchased this item <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270317776180&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017" target="_blank">INSIGNIA DE LOS ALF?RECES PROVISIONALES (VIUDAS)</a><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--> <!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->on ebay from Spain. A literal translation reads ' STANDARD OF THE PROVISIONAL LIEUTENANTS (WIDOWS) '. I had previously seen this badge and a very short description stating that it is a type of military NOK badge. I also have a pic of one that was described as a civilian NOK badge. I have them both pictured in my album but will paste them here as well. I am looking for information on these items for the 2nd volume of my Wound Medals, Badges & NOK awards book. Any assistance will be acknowledged and very much appreciated. thanks.

I think that this is a non official "sweetheart" issue...The black rectangle with the six pointed star is the insignia of the "Alferez" grade ...the lowest junior officer grade one can find in the spanish army...He cames from the civil war when volunteers of some education were, after a brief period of "condensed" officer instruction go to the rangs as "Provisional" officer (or acting officer) as a "fill the gap" war mesure, due to the shortage of career officers(Alferez provisional, similar to: = Fahnenjunker, ensign, etc... provisional).

The grade was only for the duration of war time and it was supposed that after this, the acting officer will be discharged and return home...a civilian again...

I hope this will be of some help

Miguel

Hi Miguel, thanks for the information you sent. can you tell me what time period/for which war you are referring to as i don't want to speculate and put down the wrong years. if you come across any further info or pic's of the items i will be pleased to hear from you again.

I think that this is a non official "sweetheart" issue...The black rectangle with the six pointed star is the insignia of the "Alferez" grade ...the lowest junior officer grade one can find in the spanish army...He cames from the civil war when volunteers of some education were, after a brief period of "condensed" officer instruction go to the rangs as "Provisional" officer (or acting officer) as a "fill the gap" war mesure, due to the shortage of career officers(Alferez provisional, similar to: = Fahnenjunker, ensign, etc... provisional).

The grade was only for the duration of war time and it was supposed that after this, the acting officer will be discharged and return home...a civilian again...

I hope this will be of some help

Miguel

Hi Miguel, thanks for the information you sent. can you tell me what time period/for which war you are referring to as i don't want to speculate and put down the wrong years. if you come across any further info or pic's of the items i will be pleased to hear from you again.

I´m speaking of the Spanish civil war period...so: 1936-1939. After the end of the war (april 1939), all the "Provisionales" are supposedly been licensed...

The "alféreces provisionales",are "de facto" section leaders, and, for war merits, could attaint the grade of lieutenant for "combat merits". For all this the "Provisionales" always commanded from the first line in close combat and in assaults of ennemy positions and they are the first to fall dead...(In the civil war a saying was: "alférez de complemento, cadáver al momento",-acting sublieutennant, instant corpse- or "alférez provisional, cadáver efectivo". - -acting subliutenent efective corpse- It was saying that the life of a "Alferez provisional" was of 16 minutes...(an exageration, of course)

Add: The "Alferez" grade (from the Arab: الفارس al-fāris, "the knight" -el caballero-

o " The rider" -"el jinete"- ) is the junior military grade in some countries

I´ve attached the image of an Alferez de complemento:

Edited by hipnos