News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

K-9 AWARDS

Antonio,

In the UK several of the well known animal charities issue awards to animals. Probaly the most famous is the Dicken Medal awarded by the PDSA ( Peoples Dispinsary for Sick animals ). It sometimes refered to as "The Animal VC". I think it was last awarded a couple of years ago to a Bomb disposal dog serving with British forces in Iraq. It has been awarded to Police Dogs, Rescue Dogs and even carrier pigeons during both world wars.

On the official front the UK government has no set award for an animal but most likely the award would go the animals handler.

Craig

I have found the article about the K9-coins.

It is a Dutch article, but I wil tell you now the main things of the text.

In 2007 there were some NATO medals awarded to some dutch guard dogs that guarded the airfield of Kandahar. But the airforce-leaders didn't like it (the found that it goes to far). And they prohibited (is this the good word?) it.

That is why the designed special coins for the guard dogs.

The coins will be awarded to the owners/bosses/trainers/companions of the dogs. This goes with a little ceremony. And they also get a certificate/document with the design of the NATO medals on the name of the dog.

There are 2 versions of the coin, a gold-coulored and silver-coulored one. The first one is for collectors and the second one is the version that will be awarded.

If you are interested in the dutch article, just send me a message.

I hope you understand my englisch, it is not so good ;)

• 3 years later...

The US War Dogs Association has created a medal. They lobbied the pentagon for a CIB for dogs- or use of the Commendation/Merit medal, but so far the Pentagon has nixed that idea: "humans only".

See here (beware -the music is country AND western )

http://www.uswardogs.org/id67.html

But- this is out there on the web- an EK award by the Kaiser to a wounded dog. I would very much like to check that story, but...stranger things have happened at the hands of a Prussian monarch.

http://doglawreporte...ce-dogs-in.html

I called the US Wardogs Assn and they are going to email me a picture of their dogs medal.

I might also add that I ran into (literally-on the street walking into the grocery store) my State Senator and asked her to look into this. She has promised to do so and as she is on the Defense Committee and rather senior, maybe something will happen. She loves dogs and there is no reason the Pentagon couldn't institute something.

• 2 years later...

29 April 2014 Last updated at 08:43 GMT

A British Army dog killed alongside her handler in Afghanistan is to be honoured with what is called the highest military award for an animal.

Sasha, a four-year-old yellow Labrador who was trained to hunt out explosives, is credited with saving the lives of scores of soldiers and civilians.

She will be awarded the PDSA Dickin Medal, which the charity says is the animal version of the Victoria Cross.

She died alongside L/Cpl Kenneth Rowe in a Taliban attack in 2008.

Sasha was deployed with handlers from the Royal Army Veterinary Corps, attached to the 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment.

Alongside her handler, she was tasked with carrying out advance patrols to find safe routes for soldiers and sniffing out weapons and IEDs.

The PDSA said: "Sasha's determination to search and push forward - despite gruelling conditions and relentless Taliban attacks - was a morale boost to the soldiers who entrusted their lives to her weapon-finding capability.

"On one occasion recalled by regimental colleagues, Sasha was searching a building in Garmsir when she detected two mortars and a large quantity of weaponry, including explosives and mines.

"This find alone undoubtedly saved the lives of many soldiers and civilians."

In 2008 she was assigned to 24-year-old L/Cpl Rowe and the pair were considered the best in the Kandahar region.

Full Article CO BBC News

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-27186205

Regards Eddie