News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Star of David/Spanish

Guest Rick Research

It isn't actually ONLY David's star.

The enormous brand new mosque just built here in the benighted boonies of Southern Canada bears 'em on all the windows.

It's puzzling to US, but apparently like swastikas to native Americans and in China etc etc not what WE take it to be.

This is Spanish, the Medalla de la Paz de Marruecos (Morocco Peace Medal), 1927.

Awarded for the suppression of the ?Rif Rebellion? from 1925 to 1927 and in commemoration of the final peace settlement in 1927. Also awarded to French troops for their particiation in the joint suppression of the rebellion.

Established: Royal Decree of 21 November 1927.

Obverse: Silver oblong medal, 59 x 32 mm, city with sun and crescent with the legend ?MARRUECOS?, above the inscription ?PAZ? and, below ?1909 1927?. Surrounded by a wreath. Suspended from a crown and eagle with widely spread wings from a ring.

Reverse: Surrounded by a wreath, the inscription: ?ESPA?A, / SIEMPRE DISPUESTA / A TODA EMPRESA DE CIVI- / LIZACI?N UNIVERSAL, CONTRIBUY? A LA DE MARRUECOS CON / LA SANGRE PRECIADA DE SUS / HIJOS Y CON EL ORO DE SUS / ARCAS. EL TRIUNFO DE SUS / ARMAS Y LA CULTURA DE / SUS M?TODOS SON LOS / CIMIENTOS DE ESTA / GRAN OBRA DE / HUMANIDAD.?

Ribbon: White, with narrow edge stripes of green, red, yellow, red, green. As with most Spanish ribbons, the ribbon is suspended from a gilt brooch buckle. The ribbon ususally bears a silver metal or embrodiered Star of David.

See Antonio Prieto Barrio's excellent site: http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/medall...o/marruecos.htm

• 4 weeks later...

It isn't actually ONLY David's star.

The enormous brand new mosque just built here in the benighted boonies of Southern Canada bears 'em on all the windows.

It's puzzling to US, but apparently like swastikas to native Americans and in China etc etc not what WE take it to be.

The British Nigerian penny - which had a hole in the center for carrying on a string by pocketless people - has a "Star of David" on the obverse. I have one on my Key ring and see it every day. My personal theory - in this case anyway - is that it's just a nice symetrical design to put on a circular coin.

BTW, we changed the name of Swastika, Ontario sometime in the '40's but we still have a Swastika Lake and my 6 volumes from 1926 edition of Rudyard Kipling's short stories (MacMillan Canada) has an elephant's head and swastika on each cover.

• 2 months later...

Some French awards for Morocco bear the "David Star". As a sidenote to the remarks about the swastika, I remember little electric vans in the Dublin of my childhood in the 1960s. Here is a wonderful period photo from the Ask About Ireland website. I believe the image belongs to one Michael Corcoran. I tell people about this and they think I'm pulling their legs!

PK

It used to said that the owners of the Swastika Laundry intended to sue the NSDAP and the Hitler government for copyright-related reasons but were headed off by the de Valera government. Probably an urban myth but I have always wanted it to be true!

PK

I have found this about this laundry...

"In Dublin, Ireland, a laundry company known as the Swastika Laundry existed for many years in Ballsbridge on the south side of the city. The company's fleet of electric delivery vans were red, and featured a black swastika on a white background. The business started in the early 20th century and continued up until recent times. The name and logo eventually disappeared when the laundry was absorbed into the Spring Grove company."

:blush:

Ch.

It used to said that the owners of the Swastika Laundry intended to sue the NSDAP and the Hitler government for copyright-related reasons but were headed off by the de Valera government. Probably an urban myth but I have always wanted it to be true!

PK

PK

On a fairly regular basis over here in Canada, usually after someone has defaced a synagogue, some earnest person writes to the newspapers to point out that the swastika is "an ancient [Hindu / Native / Aryan / Vedic} symbol", not the property of the Third Reich and NSDAP, and should really by rehabilitated and returned to its former glory. I do love optimists!

Peter

To come back on the Star of David...

The hexagram, known in Israel as the Shield of David, was also used frequently in Muslim flags as the ?Seal of Solomon?.

For example for the flag of the Khaliph of the Spanish Protectorate of Morocco (1912-1956).

The flag of the Khaliph of the Spanish Protectorate of Morocco, was used from 1945 (Reglamento de Banderas, Insignias y Distintivos of 11 October 1945) till the independence of Morocco, 28 March 1956.

It is described as ?a square flag, green with the Makhzen emblem in yellow?.

The so-called Makhzen sign happens to be an outlined six-pointed star. Though the star is reminiscent of the shield of David, the word "Makhzen" has nothing to do with "magen" or "mogen" (Hebrew for "shield"). The Makhzen is the name given in Morocco to the central administration together with the Sultan?s governmental suite.

During the Spanish protectorate, the Khaliph acted as supreme authority as the Sultan?s deputy, under the control of the Spanish High Commissioner.

Hope this helps.

Ch.

Pic : Flag of the Khaliph of the Spanish Protectorate of Morocco.

Credit : www.atlasgeo.net

Some French awards for Morocco bear the "David Star". As a sidenote to the remarks about the swastika, I remember little electric vans in the Dublin of my childhood in the 1960s. Here is a wonderful period photo from the Ask About Ireland website. I believe the image belongs to one Michael Corcoran. I tell people about this and they think I'm pulling their legs!

PK

Hallo PK, A Dia Duite,

of the topic a bit BUT,another military related fact with regards your picture is the Military Policeman (P.A. to the Irish Military Vets) with Cap (back to the Camera) the Irish Army truck ( either a 1940s pattern Ford V 8 2-3 ton truck or a 1939 pattern 28 hp Bedford ML. ?) in the back ground, also the guy in the door way might be in a blue uniform? Navy or Slua Muiri, and the buildings are also in the style of the construction of the British leading me to surmise this shot was taken outside one of the Dublin Military Barracks, but which one? McKee is out as it has a red brick wall around it. so that leaves Collins, Griffith, Clancy or ?? please forgive my ignorance on all the barracks in Dublin, I was mainly stationed in Donegal myself, with time off for good behaviour in the Military College in the Curragh :P

Slan lat,

Kevin In Transylvania, Romania.

Kevin, a chara,

Beir Bua agus Beannacht! N?l ach beag?in?n Gaeilge agam. The photograph is actually a location still from an RTE production. The Raleigh or Moulton bicycle made up from parts gives it away...probably from stolen parts! And there was I thinking anyone in Dublin could afford colour photography back in the 1940s or early 1950s! It looks like the back Collins Barracks but I'll have to check my references because I didn't get over to the North Side much when I was a kid! The streets certainly resemble the Arbour Hill area. Romania, eh? I've been there once or twice.

PK