News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Malawi Medals

SAMedals

As you probably know, I collect images and information rather than actual things. So far the images of Malawi medals displayed have been shared with me by a generous soul called Emmaneul Halleux, who watches what I'm up to on the website and invariably comes up with some pictures for me!

• 3 years later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 1 month later...

General Henry Odillo.

P.S. May be somebody have picture of "Malawi Young Pioneers Long Service and Good Conduct medal".

Hello Ilja,

The Malawi Young Pioneers Long Service & Good Conduct Medal is a very scarce medal, that I saw only on one occasion (and I bought them). There was 2 in a lot in an auction (1 bronze & 1 silver), but both without ribbon.

That medal is larger than the others medals issued during presidency of President Banda (38 millimeters instead of 35 millimeters).

As the legends reads on obverse : Life President, I can say this medal is post 1971.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Is Banda still in office? It is interesting how he seems to physically age on his portraits on the more recent medals.

Hello Paul,

There is nowday a President Banda in office in Malawi but not the one you have in mind, but it's Joyce Banda....sorry

Kamuzu Banda was Prime Minister from 1964 (Independence) to 1966 (proclamation of the Republic of Malawi), then he became President and in 1971 President for Life.

He was outset in may 1994 (after the Life Presidency was revoked in 1993), and died 25 november 1997 (some source reported him to have been born in 1896, but most reliable source refer as 1898,so he was President till the age of 96 !!!)

President Bakili Muluzi succeded him (1994-2004)

President Bingu succeded (2004-2012), but died in office.

Since 2012 it's Joyce Banda who is President of Malawi (no family link with the first President).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heads_of_state_of_Malawi

It exist medals with President Muluzi (at least 2 : Continuous and Efficient Service Medal & Army Meritorious Service Medal)...so I guess there should exist LSGC Medal too (but I haven't seen one).

It exist also at least one medal with President Bingu ( Police Long Service Medal ). Manufacturing is different and this medal is slightly larger in diameter 38 millimeters).

I hope it helps.

Any new pictures would be welcome.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Sometimes phaleristic recalls to littérature,and welcome Robinson Crusoe

This group of Medals : Army Meritorious Service & Army LSGC Medal belongs to Sergeant Friday Yobe

Unusual name (for us).

He was Corporal when he was awarded the Army LSGC Medal & S/Sergeant when he was awarded the Army Meritorious Service Medal.

And it's not twice the same medal with a different ribbon, on the reverse picture it's hard to see, but the Army MSM is really an Army MSM on reverse.

Awards of Malawi are (were?) gazetted, if anybody has a copy concerning "31034 S/SGT Friday Yobe" I would be glad.

Emmanuel

• 1 year later...
    • 5 months later...

very cool.

A couple of photos pilfered off the web-mostly US AfricaCom. Malawai is a key ally of the US and a lot of its military do traing with the US military.

Note the UN medals.

Edited by Ulsterman

• 3 months later...

Hi I have 4 Malawi Young Pioneers long service and Good Conduct Award Medals without ribbons as well as A Malawi Silver Jubilee 1989 Medal with ribbon. Can someone please tell me what the value of these items are and if anyone is willing to buy them from me

West

• 2 years later...

Nice, Ilya - but it ought to be on a dark blue ribbon with white edges, the dark red ribbon is for army awards. This one was awarded during the presidencey of Joyce Banda (no relation to H.K. Banda!) who held office 2012-2014. First one I've seen with her picture on it.

• 1 year later...
    • 3 months later...
    • 1 year later...

Hello Gentlemen,

Here is a photo from Malawi Order of Achievement, 

I have never seen one with my own eyes. But it is the current Order of Malawi, as the Order of the Lion is not awarded any more.

The photo came from manufacturer web site.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Malawi Order of National Achievement large picture.jpg