News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mongolian goodies

Vatjan

Hi guys,

Here some of the lesser known Mongolian awards.

These are not official medals, rather badges, but no collection is complete witout them :D

First off the badge for the 15 anniversary of the MPR (1936)

Text avers: "15th anniversary honour medal."

Text revers: "Mongolian Government. 26th year - 7th month" (remember the independence of Mongolia from China in 1911!)

Edited by vatjan

40th anniversary of the Mongolian People's Army medal. (1960)

Apparantly this medal was not much liked, because the center reminded too much of the Japanese lotus design, maybe that's why it never got "official" medal status

Edited by vatjan

Guest Rick Research

The 1936 badge is a BEAUTY-- that was surely not a souvenir, but some sort of OFFICIAL badge, an award to state employees or ???

The cheap painted 1960 army is shown on page 80 of Dr Battuschig's "Mongolian Orders, Medals & Badges" number C 04 as "Mongolian People's Military (1955-1971) 40 years" which seems to have scrambled the description.

I wonder why the 1959 Khalkin Gol badge was (?) not considered an "official" jubilee badge like all the later ones that show up so often in "parade tourist" :cheeky: Soviet groups for people never at the actual battle, but around for the jubilee parties?

Lovely, thanks. Dr. Battuschig freely admits that the badge section in his masterful book leaves something to be desired, but it is so far in advance of anything else we have that I'm not sure what the problem is. He is contemplating either a website or a second book just focusing on badges.

I know you cannot tell from the pic, but the 40th anniv MPA is actually a fairly heavy, hot enamelled badge.

Not Mondvor quality, but still nice.

I know Dr B is working on a website, but I don't know when it will be finished.

Enjoy the Khalkhin Gol postcard

Jan

Here are a couple of Mongolian badges. I apologize for obscuring the name of the recipient.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

These are actually official medals.

It's the 40th anniv of the Khalkhin Gol medal and the medal for the 60th anniv of the Armed Forces.

Jan

Hey Chuck,

Sometimes awards for "VIP's" were accompanied with hardcover booklets like the one in attach, 40th anniv Khalkhin Gol to Politbureau member Grishina. This doc is not in my posession so I cannot show the front.

These are actually the normal paper award cards glued into a hardcover booklet.

I don't know just how important one had to be to receive such a treat, nor do I know if it was done for all different medals

Jan

Here some more nice variants.

Everybody knows the Choibalsan's shooter badge, but if you look closely you'll see there are 2 variations.

Notice the different cap, and on the one badge the shooter aims for the first letter (counting counterclockwise of course :rolleyes: )

On the other he aims somwhere between the 2nd and 3rd letter.

Jan

Edited by vatjan

• 3 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

A local collector of Communist awards stopped by today and I scanned some awards with permission to post here (see also the Yugoslav thread)--

Military Merit Medal engraved #10,740 is Battushig type A37.2. The Labo Medal is tiny stamped serial number 19,393, type A38.2:

[attachmentid=18604][attachmentid=18605]

Ed has already shown the 50th anniversary of the PRM medal A46, but here is one with the same year's armed forces jubilee (A47) fronts and backs:

[attachmentid=18607][attachmentid=18608]

The military merit medal is, what I have called, a type 2, the characteristics being: pinback - cloth ribbon on suspension device - ring part of the medal - rotating tool serial number.

Type 1 are screwbacks and have hand engraved serial numbers, and type 3 an enamelled suspension device

The honorary labouir medal is a type 2 variation 1, the characteristics being: screwback - cloth ribbon on suspension device - cyrillic inscription - ring part of the medal - stamped serial number.

Type 1 has the Uighur incription and type 2 variation 2 has a pinback and rotating tool serial number

Edited by vatjan

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Sugarplums but that's sweet! :jumping: Terrific design! How could such an isolated, windswept, faraway place consistently have produced the second best (primary Kudos to Belgium, I think) awards designs of the last century?

(Oooo, that's the first time I've said that that I didn't feel like a Time Traveller, 2000 &5, 2000 & 6....)