News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

That's a GERMAN "Erinnerungszeichen f?r Marineflugzeugf?hrer und -beobachter" (1916-1918). Hardly seen, very nice. Thanks for showing.

Isn't the crown Imperial Prussian which would confirm that it is German in origin? in which case my exploration of Austrian/Hungarian origiin is flawed!!

Regards

Guest Rick Research

Greiser was a Leuitnant der Reserve (Matrosenartillerie) with a very brief naval flying career-- with Flieger Stationen I & II Flandern April to December 1917 and then school assignments thereafter. I don't believe the naughty SS obergruppenf?hrer was entitled to a commemorative badge, but maybe the navy didn't require the FOUR YEARS flying duty that the army did for theirs.

Have a look here: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33702&st=20

post #25 shows a retired Prussian Naval Pilots badge

This is for sure a imperial german navy retired aviation badge. The requirements for this badge are the same as for the army retired badge and this are 3 years. One exception was if someone were wound in action and are not able to continue his duty as navy pilot or observer he also could get this badge.

Regards Alex

Edited by jaba1914

Isn't the crown Imperial Prussian which would confirm that it is German in origin?

No, actually not. There isn't a "Imperial Prussian" crown as Prussia was a kingdom, not an empire. It's the Imperial GERMAN crown, of course worn by the same guy as the king of Prussia was. We are talking about the same, just to be clear.

One exception was if someone were wound in action and are not able to continue his duty as navy pilot or observer he also could get this badge.

Ah, and then it makes sense as he was wounded...

Nice picture! Am I blind or is he not wearing an NSDAP long service award? Or it is just a pre 1939/41 pictures...

That Gauleiter was not a very pleasant fellow.

You're quite right a nasty piece of work.

BTW for those interested, here's the full image, of the internet, I believe it's listed as public domain.

regards

Edited by Alex K