News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Albania- Wied era medals

On 7/30/2017 at 17:46, Bob said:

And here's a group belonging to Rauf Fico, an Albanian diplomat - pics also from the National Historical Museum in Tirana597e000af3fcd_2017-07-2015_12_42.thumb.jpg.457a39c01eca5c5da73bcc02f2871458.jpg

Including Serbian/Yugoslav Order of St. Sava 1st Class.
    Thanks for photos.

• 1 year later...

Thank you Komtur for this wonderful information, image and documentation!  The Major's bar further confirms that swords affixed to suspension ribbons indicate military division Black Eagle Order awards.  A question--the Black Eagle badge seems to be silver so would be an officer's....or 4th class.  Maybe the apparent number 4 written in by hand indicates these men received the 4th or officer's class.    Or perhaps he got promoted within the Order?  

May I ask where you found this Inhaber list and whether similar lists for other grades may be found and consulted or copied ?   I understood that Dr, Klietmann had compiled a list of persons decorated with the Black Eagle Order which was deposited in a Berlin genealogical society archive after his death. 

A bar attributed to Lt. Czivisch appeared in an Orderns-Sammlung sale catalog in the early 1950s, maybe 1954.  Unfortunately, I do not have that catalog or recall exactly what awards the bar displayed other than a 1914 Iron Cross and maybe an Albert Order.  In any case, those catalogs contained no  images.

J Jacob's book Court Jewelers of the World contains an image of the award bar of Lt. Ryssell.  [He is #1 on the list.]  

Edited by 922F
    spelchek

On 17/01/2019 at 23:53, 922F said:

Thank you Komtur for this wonderful information, image and documentation!  The Major's bar further confirms that swords affixed to suspension ribbons indicate military division Black Eagle Order awards.  A question--the Black Eagle badge seems to be silver so would be an officer's....or 4th class.  Maybe the apparent number 4 written in by hand indicates these men received the 4th or officer's class.    Or perhaps he got promoted within the Order?  

May I ask where you found this Inhaber list and whether similar lists for other grades may be found and consulted or copied ?   I understood that Dr, Klietmann had compiled a list of persons decorated with the Black Eagle Order which was deposited in a Berlin genealogical society archive after his death. 

A bar attributed to Lt. Czivisch appeared in an Orderns-Sammlung sale catalog in the early 1950s, maybe 1954.  Unfortunately, I do not have that catalog or recall exactly what awards the bar displayed other than a 1914 Iron Cross and maybe an Albert Order.  In any case, those catalogs contained no  images.

J Jacob's book Court Jewelers of the World contains an image of the award bar of Lt. Ryssell.  [He is #1 on the list.]  

Indeed it is a silver decoration and v. d. Lippe is mentioned in the list for the knight class of this order.  In my opinion this could be a result of confusion in our understanding of the classes or simply an error in the list. It seems for me very unlikely, that he promoted within the order, even if this is not impossible.

You can find the list in the mentioned archive of the HEROLD society, where the Klietmann documents are stored. There is also a correspondence between Klietmann and Karl Victor zu Wied from 1949/50 that indicates, that this list origins from this son of the Mbret of Albania Prince Wilhelm Wied. Karl Victor wrote amongst others, that he is quite sure, that this document is incomplete. We can confirm this now by some persons we found out as holders of the order, but missing in this list, e.g. most of the dutch officers. The names and numbers Klietmann publicates are based on this (incomplete) source.

Thank you for your interesting information of sources showing other bars with the Albanian Black Eagle Order, from wich the second one I could found in my own library. Unfortunaltely I have no copies of the Ordens-Sammlung sale catalogues to look for the Lt. Czivisch bar.

• 1 year later...

The medal set of Colonel Jan Hendrik Sar. One of the 17 Dutch who helped the Albanian forces in 1914.

The empty place at the front of the bar was probably occupied by a Knight or Officer grade cross of the Order of Orange Nassau with the swords. He became Knight in this order in 1923 and Officer in 1946 after his retirement.

Regards 

Herman 

Jan Hendrik Sar.jpg

On 07/07/2013 at 13:24, Herr General said:

This set was sold at a Dutch Auction a few months ago: Most likely belonged to Captain Jan Fabius or Mayor Joan Snellen van Vollenhoven,

post-1614-0-32286800-1373196261.jpg

Actually this set belonged to Officer of Health  (Officier van Gezondheid) Tiddo Reddingius.  

• 4 weeks later...