News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I recently bought a GV1R LSGC, to Insp Reginald Brow, of Kilmarnock Constabulary. Thinking a relatively senior Officer, would be quite easy to research, I began by contacting Archives Dept, at Glasgow Town Council. They informed me that they had looked through their records for Police Personnel, and could not find any record of this Insp. They also tried Ayrshire Archives and again no luck.
    Can anyone suggest anywhere else I could try?

Unfortunately as with a lot of records when forces where amalgamated records were lost or destroyed. Your problem also lies in the fact that the records to this officer relate to the 1950s and are not that old so there may be problems releasing the information if you did find it.

Kilmarnock is now under Strathclyde Police

The Museum is housed within Strathclyde Police Headquarters at 173 Pitt Street, Glasgow G2 4JS.

Museum Curator, 0141 532 2822 or museum@strathclyde.pnn.police.uk

Also try the Glasgow Police Museum it may be able to help:

http://www.policemuseum.org.uk/

Edited by Chairman

Yes I know what you mean, but I bought it for a bargain price, and sometimes its just nice to have the medal in your collection.
    Its all the luck of the draw isn`t it, the whole hobby I mean, sometimes you find out loads of info on something like a WW1 Victory Medal, and then something like a Crimea Medal, you can`t find out anyhting.
    But its all good fun!!!

I agree, but if its at auction and I get the time to do it, I always research what I can. It has saved me loads. I'm very careful now, what I put my money into.I've also got the Boer War Casualty Roll. I got it as a present, and its saved me a fortune. " Boer War KIA " my arse... usually Died of Disease ! And thats not only Ebay. angry.gif