News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 181
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Joe. Can someone tell me more about the requirements for the ZL Merit Cross? Used to fill a gap between the Silver Merit Medal and the Karl-Friedrich Medal or more like the W?rttemberg Merit Cross with swords for "give him this one instead of nothing"?

Edited by JensF.

• 1 year later...

To re-animate this nice, "litte" thread. :rolleyes:

Heres another wee Baden one for you

Just a long service mounted on its own.....

It's still missing a single mount "Spangenst?ck" of the old pre 1913 long service award! It's the first one I've ever seen, so I bought it (on Ebay.de) - although it is really uuuugly. :o

Avers:

Here is an odd little medal bar that I got several years ago. The arrangement is very odd and the only order I can see is that it goes from large to small. Other than that it is entirely illogical. Was this guy from Saxe-Meiningen and just put the Baden medals on as he received them (because the Small Gold is misplaced)? All in all an odd duck.

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...

Hi Saschaw,

Two things strike me about this bar:

1. I would guess that the medal in the center position is incorrect. In it?s place should be something related to the Military Karl-Friedrich Order - a knight?s badge maybe?

2. The Zahringer Lion badge seen here is what appears to be a very nicely done jeweler's copy. Nothing wrong with that - actually very rare in it?s own right.

Did I find the reason why your father bought it?

Wild Card

Thanks Wild Card, you hit the point - with #1. It is - at least in my and my father's opinion - a bar for a Karl Friedrich knight. One out of 288 in World War I. :jumping: A very simple combination, no chance to identify. Presumably just one of those Leutnants or Leutnants der Reserve thet were awarded a "Karl Friedrich" in 1918. Actually, the first Karl Friedrich medal bar I've seen with no chance to ID ... :lol::speechless:

#2 is wrong, this is just a crappy fake from "G?de", worth approx. US $10.-. I've never seen a single sided jeweler's copy of a Z?hringer - by now.

.. but at that point... I would suspect the actual construction of the bar which could be a fake in its' entirety...

But I do not know why it should be fake?

:Cat-Scratch:

The seller's an antique seller who's in business for at least thirty years. He doesn't matter anything, even not anymore the money at all - he has enough. I'd guess he bought the bar many years ago (for presumably nothing) and hang the decorations on it to sell it ...

• 12 years later...
    • 5 months later...

Hi Graham

Nice cross. If my memory is ok, there is only 22 crosses awarded during WW1. A super rare knight cross. Congrats

One question, is your cross in gold ? It seems that the swords were added during the war (bronze ?). the color of the swords is different from the cross itself.

Is there an hallmark ? I remember that Doudlee is the maker of this cross and a D was written in the bottom of the cross.

Christophe