News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austro-Hungarian soldier - collar insignia

Robert Noss

This is a photo from a workmate of mine.

He is doing some research on his ancestors and asked me to find out

something about the man on the photo.

He is Austro-Hungarian, right ??

What about the collar insignia ?

Sorry for the bad quality, but he only had a reprint of the original photo for me to scan.

All infos are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Hallo Robert, :beer:

The collar Insignia are for a Hungarian Austrian Heavy Machine Gun Unit

the represent a dragon spitting fire, somewhere here on the forum

there is more information posted by Rick on them.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edit: due to mis-identification of the crown on the machine-gun unit insignia.

Edited by Kev in Deva

Guest Rick Research

The sergeant (I think the K.k. rank title was "Zugf?hrer") is actually wearing the 1908 Military Jubilee Cross and the 1912-13 Mobilization Cross. The photo must date circa 1914-15. Since the 1908 is being worn but no VI Years Service yet, I am not sure whether they suspended awards of long service crosses during the war.

Here is what the fire-breathing dragon (an absolutely perfect metaphor, na?) looks like--

Officers wore gold colored insignia and enlisted ranks silver. Austrian units wore the Imperial crown while Hungarian units wore the crown of Saint Stephan. The larger badge above each dragon was worn on the right side of caps as a tactical sign for machine gun troops. The dragons were worn on each collar, facing forward, so you can always tell which side of the collar a dragon was worn on.

Isn't he a Sergeant?

Looks like he was in for a while too-that's the NCOs 6 year service medal and the Signum Memor. medal isn't it? Photo @ 1910?

Hallo Jeff :beer:

its the Balkan Campaign Cross not a military service cross.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Looking at the photo I would say the that the Zugf?hrer is from a k.u.k./k.k. machine gun unit as opposed to a Hungarian or Honved unit.

Regards,

Ian

Hallo Ian, :beer:

I believe you are spot on, the tell-tale sign is the shape of the crown, with the bent cross on top.

I will amend my post to reflect your identification.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Hallo Robert, :beer:

The collar Insignia are for a Hungarian Austrian Heavy Machine Gun Unit

the represent a dragon spitting fire, somewhere here on the forum

there is more information posted by Rick on them.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edit: due to mis-identification of the crown on the machine-gun unit insignia.

Kevin,

I think that you were correct when you first identified this photo as being of a member of a Hungarian machinegun detachement. The crown is not clear and it is difficult to be sure using only that as your guideline. I think that if you compare the photo below with the insignia on the collar you will find it resembles the Hungarian insignia more than the Austrian one. The most obvious difference between the two badges, discounting the crown, is the right hand side of the dragon as viewed by you. The Austrian badge is on your left and the Hungarian badge is on your right. The foto is from the Osprey Men-at-Arms series #397 "The Austro-Hungarian Forces in World War I 1916-1918" page 16.

Regards,

Gordon

Kevin,

I think that you were correct when you first identified this photo as being of a member of a Hungarian machinegun detachement. The crown is not clear and it is difficult to be sure using only that as your guideline. I think that if you compare the photo below with the insignia on the collar you will find it resembles the Hungarian insignia more than the Austrian one. The most obvious difference between the two badges, discounting the crown, is the right hand side of the dragon as viewed by you. The Austrian badge is on your left and the Hungarian badge is on your right. The foto is from the Osprey Men-at-Arms series #397 "The Austro-Hungarian Forces in World War I 1916-1918" page 16.

Regards,

Gordon

Hallo Gordon, :beer:

thanks for your post I have attempted to enlarge the area of the collar insignia for more detail,

this is about the best I can get it though:-

Kevin in Deva.

• 9 years later...
    On 07/02/2009 at 06:40, Robert Noss said:

This is a photo from a workmate of mine.

He is doing some research on his ancestors and asked me to find out

something about the man on the photo.

He is Austro-Hungarian, right ??

What about the collar insignia ?

hagen_1.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality, but he only had a reprint of the original photo for me to scan.

All infos are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Hello ,the man portrayed is a machine gunner but his rank is feldwebel ,three stars and lace 

11 hours ago, Ian said:

Post No. 13. I don't see any thing wrong with. Honest piece (rusty and in need of some TLC).

Thanks Ian. Appreciated....

It did look better the next day...

so I went for it.

I will post a pic or two once I’ve got it  

tony

• 5 years later...