News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The goal of this thread is to post photos of known fake Luftwaffe tabs.

This is a set that I found on Ebay today. The major problem I have with this tab is the backing material. Also, the gull retention prongs do not look right to me. All and all, these are pretty good repros.

If you have photos of reproduction/fake tabs, please post them here along with any comments.

Warm regards

Paul

Edited by Paul Reck

• Replies 121
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The vendor sent closeups after assuring me that these were real.

Notice the clear silicone like substance on the reverse of the tab.. yeah riiiighhhhtttt :shame:

Also notice the prongs. They are not like any originals I have ever seen.

...until you look at the back.

Notice the synthetic like backing.

The inhand inspection reveals more... I dont know how to explain other than it does not feel or smell "right". When I bend the tab between my fingers(carefully), it flexes and feels as I would expect a nylon fabric to.

Exam under a black light reveals a very bright electric blue glow.

Edited by Paul Reck

There are other ways to identify this tab as a fake without the black light.

Please note the course burlap like material covering the tab(the same material seen in the first example in this thread)... this is not typical to officer grade tabs(that I have seen anyway).

Edited by Paul Reck

Back...

In this case, the stiffner material seems to be made of a whitish nylon like woven fiber.

In my experience, smell is a part of the items we collect. I have notice a simular smell in my real cloth items. These tabs have no odor what so ever.

Also, notice the lack of excess piping material bundled in the back of the tab like all the originals I know of.

(as seen on the backs of all of the original tabs I have displayed in this thread: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3300 )

Despite all of these factors, I feel that these tabs are fairly convincing. The method of embroidery and actual construction are very good.

Edited by Paul Reck

It is getting pretty scary. A year ago I would have bought these tabs thinking that they were the real thing. Now I see why specializing and exposure to that speciality are so important.

Regards

Paul

Gentlemen, please be advised that because an item glows it doesn't mean it's bad. I have a 100% original pair of Oberleutnant HG collar tabs that glow because they have been laundered. They came off of a Luftwaffe summer tunic that had been laundered and it too glowed like a Christmas tree.

Hi Gene!

Great to see you!

Thank you for your respected input on this set of tabs. From what I have learned, the black light technique should not be the sole factor in determining authenticity. The black light results simply added weight to what my feelings are based on the other factors I mentioned. What is your opinion on the other points mentioned? Do you feel that there is a chance for these tabs?

I am still learning and am open to thoughts on this set! I received these for free as reproduction. If they turn out to be real... :jumping:

Very respectfully

Paul Reck

Edited by Paul Reck

Based on these two pics I cannot condemn them (the HG) as fakes; that said, there are construction problems that I would expect to not be there. I guess it's a tough call on these, but I am leaning 60-40 they're good.

Based upon a close exam, including a "burn test" of some loose material I am starting to doubt my original assessment. The burnt material smelled and burned like wool. Secondly, there is evidence of that excess piping that I mentioned earlier. (remains of stitching that would have bound the piping ends to the back of the tab). The only remaining question I have now is what the backing material could be. I am not able to safely remove a piece for a burn test.

If anyone else has an idea how to identify material without destroying the tab, please let me know! At this point, I am willing to go with the assumption that these are now authentic until I learn otherwise. :cheers:

Please, if you find any other LW tabs you feel to be repro or fake please post them!

Thank you Gene!

Regards

Paul

Edited by Paul Reck

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually looking at those just 20 seconds ago. Those gulls are just horrible. And the backs...

Judging by the return policy, he must sincerely believe them to be real.

Regards

Paul

Thank you for posting these!

Edited by Paul Reck

I think it's very hard to judge these boards and patches just by the material,odd gulls etc..

Era pics are showing very funny,odd and misshaped gulls,eagles etc..

I think it has more to do with comparing loads of bullion stuff,backings etc.

I've learned that you can go easily wrong by not liking the pattern,shape etc..

In fact I like funny bullion cap and breast eagles.

It's not a matter of black light and burntests,I hardly use these tools personaly,but studying many textbook items,but also the many variations etc..

Bullion stuff is difficult,there're 1000nds of variations,some delicate,some rude,messy,simple,odd,funny,weird..

It takes knowledge of material,the small coiled silver threads/wires etc..

Some are obvious,some are difficult,some are unbelievable..

I would not cast away the last Flak sets..,unless somebody is 100% sure they're fake.

Jos.