News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

2 New Ribbon Bars To Drive Me Crazy (Short Commute)

Guest Rick Research

These recent arrivals came to live with me as a form of weregild for the Frozen Hell January of 2009. No, I can't find all my own ribbon bars, either-- and these are in the Sleepless Nights category though :cheers: much appreciated.

First up-- probably (?) a dR or dL officer during the war:

The Prussian (know it is NOT Reichs since all naval reservists are in the 1918 MRL and he ain't there) long service without an 1897 medal indicates either a 1920 XXV or an LD1 or LD2. BUT :shame: BOTH a Red Eagle 4 and Crown Order 4 (presumably) are quite unusual for an otherwise lowly dR/dL type-- and then there is what is probably a peacetime Ernestine at the end. How that links up with Oldenburg during the war is baffling.

There is always the chance that what my eye is looking at but brain is not registering on is some cavalry type with the trio of pre-war awards and it is indeed a 1920 XXV. Orrrrr..... it's the "devices snag in my overcoat" fashion statement and that Ernestine DID have Xs-- which he's not wearing. :banger:

AND:

This one I suspect is a senior NCO's bar. Anhalt Friedrich in 2nd place doesn't help identify whether that is a Red Eagle 4 or a general Decoration in Silver in 3rd place. Certainly a career military type, with service from at least 1896-- and no apparent pre-war connection to Anhalt (no 1896 jubilee or pre-war award)

the :banger::banger::banger: being-- what the heck is that in last place? As far as I can come up with, it must be something from LUXEMBOURG. Not being exactly sure what the ribbon is doesn't help. Not that it would have been listed in a Prussian rank List anyway...

not that a Feldwebel would have been in a Rank List either...

unless it's a ....

:catjava:

Nice ones, but I cannot help much, but...

:rolleyes:

the latter one has yet before been shown by Mr. Paul C and your very own evil twin said it was not a good bar, but a modern put together. I thought differently on it back than, and still think the same. For me most likely a (maybe ex-) NCO with his "old style" DA1 in last place. Only a fool would put that away for the new XV... :blush: (have proof for that on a photo with medal bar)

I'm too still having some bars I'm browsing whole rank lists for - at least now I know how you must feel... :catjava:

Guest Rick Research

No doubt (in my paws) it is a good old bar. Actually, I was just talking to Daniel on the phone and he said the last ribbon could also be from Hessen-Nassau's provincial Feuerwehr-- one of the many "semi official" awards NOT shown in the Deutschland Katalog's B?nderkatalog.

I'm assuming NCO as well because no officer turns up as a match, leaving "invisible" suspects.

It's not an old Prussian XXI-- that had bright yellow edges and this has a dark, brownish "mustard" color stripes.

Hmm, (you know I have) no idea about those "semi-official" ribbons - but that would be the same ribbon as for Naussau's Erinnerungsmedaille 1909, which I guess is impossible in this combination. Many moons ago I had a button with ribbons from pre 1913 times, that had the same ribbon and if I remember correctly it was as well in last place - and "mustard" as yours. Due to the lack of any long service award in combination with two awards that may be for a long serving NCO (crown order medal and Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen or Red Eagle order medal) I'm still thinking this is more likely the old Prussian XXI...

We'll never know for sure... :speechless1:

"...the last ribbon could also be from Hessen-Nassau's provincial Feuerwehr--..."

Can't say I've seen it on a feuerwehr award, but it's possible, however, I think there is a Nassau Civil and Military Cross of Merit that has a similar ribbon.

FireMedals

• 8 months later...
    • 4 months later...