News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sudanese soldier

Yes, a lovely photo, but way too small for me to get any sort of medal identification. Here's the best closeup I can do from what was posted.

Maybe: Egypt Star (clasp?), Sudan Medal with 4 (?) clasps, British Egypt medal with 2 (?) clasps, British Sudan Medal?

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Maybe: Egypt Star (clasp?), Sudan Medal with 4 (?) clasps, British Egypt medal with 2 (?) clasps, British Sudan Medal?

I think Ed has hit the nail on the head. In the closer view from the site, those do seem to be the medals. Strange order of wearing them though??

Fantastic photo. Would be interested in finding out more about this guy.

Mike

I think Ed has hit the nail on the head. In the closer view from the site, those do seem to be the medals. Strange order of wearing them though??

Fantastic photo. Would be interested in finding out more about this guy.

Mike

Normal order of wearing for an Egyptian (Sudanese) soldier. They would wear medals from their ruler first and those from some foreign queen last.

• 1 month later...

Hi Gents;

Great image, and my apologies for taking so long to add my two-cents' worth. Ed Haynes is absolutely correct about the Egyptian order of precedence for this fellow's medals. This is exactly how they should be worn by someone in Egyptian government service. I don't just limit it to the Egyptian Army (EA) because I'm pretty sure that the central figure in this photo is in the Police. A couple of reasons why;

1) He wears a coloured collar, not worn by Sudanese soldiers.

2) He carries a whistle and cane.

3) His tarboosh cover bears a diamond-shaped flash with an additional badge. A diamond flash was only worn by the 1st and 3rd Infantry Bns. of the EA. These two units were composed of Egyptians, and Sudanese could not have been members, they were only allowed in the IXth to the XVIIth Bns.

I have no doubt that this fellow had been in the EA but had probably transferred to the Police on the reduction of the Army after 1898. Sudanese soldiers generally served for life, unlike their Egyptian counterparts, and it is quite possible that he was selected for more responsible service than stamping about a Khartoum parade square. I agree that he seems to exude authority, not a bad characteristic for a native constable, or any constable for that matter! An impressive looking individual anyway.

Cheers,

Mark