News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Foreign Legion Cambodia

Simon F

Here is an album I was fortunate enough to pick up last year that I would like to share with you. This one is to a Kriegsmarine sailor who joined the FFL, presumably at the wars end or shortly after. The earliest dated photo is from 1947.

First up is a picture of the owner.

I believe this is what has been pinned to the unit flag.

The Sena Jayasedh Decoration: founded by King Sisowath Monivong in 1928 as a high distinction for military and civil merit. Reformed by King Norodom Sihanouk and thereafter reserved for rewarding exceptional military services. Awarded in one class.

Royal Order of Cambodia (1864-1948)

The Royal Order of Cambodia was founded in 1864 by King Norodom I to recognize military and civil contributions to the Protectorate. It was adopted as a French Colonial Order in 1896. It is awarded in five classes (Grand Cross, Grand Officer, Commander, Officer and Knight). The insignia is in the form of a gold (silver for Knights) eight-pointed star. At the center is the royal coat-of-arms above a violet enamel background surrounded by a red enamel oval. It is suspended from a crown. When awarded by the King of Cambodia, the ribbon was dark green with two red edge stripes. When awarded by the President of France, the ribbon was white with two orange-yellow side stripes. The reverse is hollow.

Shown here with French ribbon.