News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Star Medals

And finally, my Air Crew Europe Star arrived! Sorry for the low quality photos, but I wanted to get an idea about it before I finalized the deal with the seller. It is in very good condition as the medal (according to the seller) was stored in the original waxed paper envelope (which was included). Please let me know what you all think.... I can provide additional photos if needed later tonight.

Thanks!

Jason

gallery_3105_64_49152.jpg

gallery_3105_64_15556.jpg

gallery_3105_64_77193.jpg

gallery_3105_64_114249.jpg

gallery_3105_64_57918.jpg

gallery_3105_64_96550.jpg

gallery_3105_64_8169.jpg

Personally, I'd trust Chris 150%

:beer:

Solid source usually means a solid medal. And if it isn't, a good source will take it back.

:cheers:

BUT "they" said "they" got it from him . . . why not just buy from Dixon??

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Darrell

Here are some additional photos to help with your evaluations.

Jason

354020978.jpg354021003.jpg

Jason, I like the color and look of these two pictures, but not so much the other closeups. Just wondering if there is some wierd color / detail distortion happening?

The letters and all the small things you look for appear to be correct. What does trouble me are the lack of defintion of the letters. Compare the letters of yours with mine.

Again, it maybe those pictures. They look dramatically different than the ones on top. :unsure:

Edited by Darrell

I will try some different camera settings. I can never seem to get high quality close ups. If I use the flash, there is a glare, if I don't, it is too hard to see details. Let me try some other shots and settings......

They are actually "dings" to the medal from what appears to be a sharp pointed object (possibly the points of another Star....).

Jason

Exaclty. If you'd been bashing around in a sack with many other sharp-pointy things for five five decades, . . . .

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 1 year later...

Jason - is this the original ACE Star that you were discussing back in 2009 ? My general observation point for Stars is the stippling - the little raised dots behind the wording. There are of course several other ways to authenticate - and I think they were discussed earlier.

Purely as a comment - I would not be 100% happy with this Star - there are areas where the stippling is not covering the entire area. Having said that it does appear to have reasonably even spacing, although not an exact sizing - a sure give away for some copies. From all of the Stars, Air Crew Europe is the most commonly copied one - purely from the price point of view. Perhaps worth a little closer examination ?

Edited by Mervyn Mitton