News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

How about some nice Veteran's pieces? The variety was almost infinite and lots of really, really neat stuff. I invite all to add theirs to the thread!!

Here's a Kyfhauserbund Medal with 2 "battle bars"..... we could almost do an entire thread on nothing but this one style of veteran's piece!

• Replies 53
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Eric, I agree with Joe... the entire series of these enameled crosses is amongst the best of the vet pieces. Very interesting with the "Treue dem Regiment bar attached!! Have you ever checked to see if that regiment actually participated at the Champagne battles? Try a new thread in "history"... I'd be curious to know!

nice medalbar joe, but i would tend to say, that the last medal (most probably treue in der arbeit from saxon, model from friedrich august) is wrong.

from the ribbon its more likly the treu dem regiment cross (have a close look at the upper part of the ribbon if there are holes in it for the unit clasp - if not, i was worn without)

but anyway :love:

christian

oh-KAY....

the sachsen medal is just plain wrong....

what should/would/could be in the third

spot with that ribbon???

the second spot i'm thinking is not all

that wildly inappropriate. a marine veterans

piece on a veterans organization ribbon?

why not??

and WHY do people screw with these groupings?

it ain't like there are FABULOUSLY rare pieces

that are being plucked.....

i have included the reverse, which indicates

to me that at least the ribbons haven't been played with...

but then again, at this point i'm not even certain that the

first position holds an EK 2....

BTW, there is at least one hole in the third ribbon.

t'anks, guys.

joe

Edited by joe campbell

Hi Joe, The Saxon Labor Medal comes on a plain green ribbon. It's always possible that it was intentionally mounted like this. We certainly see no shortage of that type of "close enough" work. First thing I would do is gently pry apart the folds (blunt object, no knives!!) (whew!) and see if all 3 are stitched in place and all 3 stitchings (if there) match in thread/style. if not, then you can start thinking it's been played with. if they all match....... maybe/probably not.

The Marine Vet Medal is pretty obscure and if memory serves, it actually came on a red/black/white "patriotic" style ribbon so I would have no problem accepting that he might very well have done this intentionally with the exact same reasoning you're having.

I'm attaching a sample of the Labor Medal on the issue ribbon. I think an important thing to remember when someone comments on these is that often times, just saying "wrong ribbon/wrong medal" is not necessarily an indictment of the bar itself, just the quick observation that it's mismatched. Despite the rigidity of regulation, we certainly see no shortage of "Wrong and Right" at the same time bars. Especially during the roaring, "Anything Goes" 1920's which this bar would appear to absolutely be!!

Here's the Saxon Labor Medal as issued.

yowsuh!!

i will pick it apart - GENTLY!

i'm still uncertain as to what would be the proper

medal for that third ribbon.

by the way, your commentary about the

"daily life and times of an imperial medal bar"

is most helpful. not to be found in what references

are available, but invaluable to understand these

customs/poetic license/actualities.

my thanks!

joe

like rick said - not a real problem about the 2nd medal

but the 3rd is definately the treue dem regiment cross - and for the hole in the ribbon - the unit clasp

added a pic of the medal (various ribbons are used - here the same one like yours, and also MANY different unit claps exist)

christian

thanks, christian!!

can i assume that my third place ribbon is

similar to your second place ribbon?

if so, then the veteran's organization cross with swords would seem a likely

candidate for my third place ribbon.

rick-

yes there looks to be at least one hole where

an IR bar would be placed.

maybe the cross and bar were liberated for someone

else's bar.... :mad:

your generous help is APPRECIATED! :cheers:

joe

Joe,

Yes, the REK goes in that third spot. Stogie had a loose "Treu dem Regiment" example just a month or so ago. May still have it?

If you are going to keep with the naval motif, you will have your work cut out for you in finding a navy related bar for that ribbon. Besides, I think the navy REK ribbon was all blue with no stripes. You might want to put the Kyffhauser medal on the second place, as that would allow you to use most any unit bar that you would come across. Also, the Marine REK is much tougher to find.

Chip