News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

QUEENS COMMENDATION FOR BRAVE CONDUCT

A question to all you medal buffs, and you do seem a knowledgable bunch

The QCBC consists of a spray of I think Laurel leaves. It is very similar to the MID but in silver.

When worn on the Tunic (remember them - when Policemen looked like Policemen and not scruffy postmen?) without other medals it was pinned directly on to the tunic.

When worn with other medals RAY HOLDITCH MEDALS (just off T Square, gone now I think) stated some time ago that it should be (Court) mounted as if it were a medal, on a ribbon of dark blue - aka Khedives Star.

It looks ridiculous and seems like there is a medal missing.

Is he right?

Apologies to all ex and budding Postmen!

Guest pikemedals

HI BARNEY, HE GOT THAT WRONG. IF THE MAN GOT A APPROPRITE MEDAL .IT WILL GO ON THE RIBBON. IF NOT THE EMBLEM. IS WORN AFTER ANY OTHER MEDALS OR RIBBONS ON THE TUNIC. SOUND LIKE HE WAS TRYING TO GET YOU TO BUY A RIBBON OFF HIM PAUL

Evening Chaps,
    I must admit, I think it goes on its own piece of dark blue ribbon, and this is because I saw a group of 3 or 4 with the laurel leaves mountd on the end as mentioned. It was to a man who got it for defusing the ejector seat of a crashed harrier , which took over an hour, whilst the wreckage was still on fire, to recover the pilot's body.
    I must admit , it looked like a medal was missing.... it looked awful, but I did hear of a chap who wore his on the campaign ribbon , during which the leaves were awarded. animal

• 6 months later...

No it should be worn directly on the uniform. It could be worn on the Defence Medal if awarded during WW2, but otherwise it should be worn directly on the uniform.

• 1 month later...

I concur it should be worn directly on the tunic, no ribbons involved. MID`s are also silver these days.

I do however disagree about the scruffy postman remark, I think that todays police uniforms are smart and practical.

Edited by bigjarofwasps

• 7 years later...

I concur it should be worn directly on the tunic, no ribbons involved. MID`s are also silver these days.

I can confirm that this is correct.

My oppo (mate, friend, to non Royal Navy/ Royal Marines members) is a recipient of the QCBC.

He has a number of medals that he earned during his 22 years of service, but the QCBC emblem is (and was, while he was still serving) worn seperately.

seasoldier

For the Police it is always worn on it's own and without ribbon. Ch.Supt Wilkinson was awarded one for a bank hostage

situation in Holborn. He spent years trying - unsuccesfully - to have it mounted on a suspender or, ribbon. He is still

Chairman of PICA. (Police Insignia Collectors Assoc..) Mervyn