News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK packets and boxes

We see hundreds of the thousands of EK2's awarded in WW1...... but what about the packets? Not many found as most were tossed away almost immediately. I've seen a number of the "Retailer" named packets over the years. Some common and colorful, many just elegant in their simplicity....... But the real gems to me are the plain blue wrappers the crosses left the manufacturer in. So far, I've seen plain packets in paper and wax paper, paper packets ink-stamped in purple with the following makers: "KO", "W" & "S&W". How about you? What ones have you seen or do you have in your collection?

Here's a basic retailer packet. This maker was not a manufacturer, but rather a "jobber".... these can be fun to collect in and of themselves. You'll see them with all sorts of hand-written notes as to recipient, contents, units, etc.

Hi Steve, thanks! I'm hoping we can catalogue the different known types. I'm very curious as to how many people have different examples than these. I have another plain one that came in today with a parade-mounted EK2. Nothing else, just the packet & cross and an ausweiss!

Haha I'll respond again Stogieman,

That Oldenburg Freidrich August Cross looks absolutely mint! Does not look it's age at all, a beautiful specimen. Any chance for some closer shots of it please? (Not to interrupt your thread on EK packets, sorry)

Kind Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve, these are my archive photos so no closer ones available. I've had about ~6 of these in the packet. Once had an FAK1 in the same style of packet. This one was the best though, as mint as can be in the tissue wrap inside!

why, yes rick, i do...

i most certainly do....

(with regards to laurel and hardy!)

all o' y'all (that's plural of y'all here in NC...)

may have seen the obverse of this in The Iron Time,

but the reverse is nice, too.

it came with what i think is an unissued 1914 EK 2,

with MM "G" on the reverse ring.

joe

How about this one?

[attachmentid=16703]

Both cross and packet are marked EW

[attachmentid=16704]

Outside of pack stamped with an EK.

I shouldn't really be posting this because as of this morning the cross and packet now belong to Gordon....sorry mate :unsure::blush:

Dave

Hi Dave, I'm quite sure that not only will Gordon take good care of it, he'll put it in his book!

I think it was in anyway,I'm pretty sure I supplied Gordon with some scans of it. Yes you are right,it will be well looked after!

Dave