News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Stauffenberg signed photo - 17. Reiter

Rick - think 26 is Franz Freiherr von Bfetten-Arnbach, also of 1. Schweres Reiter Regiment. - signing as Franz Freiherr von Bfetten?

Could 11 be Eugen Graf von Quadt zu Wyfradt u. Jsny of the same rigiment? Signing as zu Jsny? Perhaps that's reaching a bit.

Number 14 is probably Bresselau von Bressensdorf

Number 36, Heinrich Gonnermann, should have been attributed to 5. Chevaulegers Regiment.

I wish I could claim to be a whiz at indentifying signatures but I have a copy of von Kageneck's "Die Bamberger Reiter," which includes as an appendix what appears to be an extract from the Bavarian army rangliste for the cavalry.

Colin

Edited by ColinRF

• Replies 51
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

Von Pfetten-Arnbach, sure. :cheers:

Czermak was a flyer, so perhaps a "cavalryman of the air?"

This does appear to be more of a "theme" dream assembly rather than a meeting of purely old regimental comrades.

The LaPo officer I mentioned is almost certainly Franz Ritter von Sei?er (1874-1973), head of the Bavarian State Police 1919-30 and there as an important local luminary since he was an ex field artilleryman. I didn't recognize the angle since he normally appears looking down his nose, so the top of his head was unfamiliar, but those are his ears and a Max Joseph-Knight's Cross first on his medal bar. There is a scribble in there which is probably "Seisser" but I've never seen his signature. He would have been offended not to have been asked to sign as the photo was passed around....

#1 is (deep breath) Eckart Freiherr von Pappus und Trazberg Freiherr zu Laubenberg und Rauhenzell of 1st Heavy Cavalry Regiment and never alone when he was in a room all by himself. :rolleyes: Roll call must have been a nightmare.

Naxos - I think you are right about Czermak but I don't know who that would be in the context of this gathering.

Colin

Johann (Hans) Czermak served during WWI with in a Bavarian squadron last rank was Lt. d R.

Fascinating! You guys are making my day identifying these new people to research. I would never have cracked those sigantures. Johann Czermak did indeed end as Lt. d. R. and served in Bayerisches Feldfliegerabteilung 2, later commanding Bayerisches Jagdstaffel 32. I got that from http://www.theaerodrome.com/isearch/. Looks like another time waster site for me to join.

Thanks for the picture Naxos!

Colin

Edited by ColinRF

• 1 year later...

I have made some significant progress on identifying these signatures thanks to the publication of the various WWI Bavarian army rangliste documents through Ancestry.de. Its an awesome resource.

Here is the updated log of signatures, almost all of which are officers of 1. Schwere Bayerisches Reiter Regiment. Those few who are not of this regiment were members of brigade or army staff.

Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg must have had his Uncle Berthold's comrades from this regiment sign the paper that was ultimately affixed to his copy of the photo of the alumni dinner in 1929.

Note that Eisner assassin Graf Arco Valley did indeed serve in this cavalry regiment before later transferring to I. Lieb Infanterie.

1 Eckart Anton von Pappus und Trazberg Freiherr Zu Laubenberg und Rauhenzell

2 Richard Walther

3 Berthold Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg

4 Ferdinand von Kobell

5 Hans Freiherr von Koenitz

6 Hartmann Maria Frhrr von Ow Auf Wachendorf

7 August Freiherr Teuffel von Birkensee

8 Karl Wilhelm Leonhard Czermak

9 unknown 9

10 unknown 10

11 unknown 11

12 Stephan Freiherr Reichlin von Meldegg

13 Graf Anton Alfred Emil Hubert Georg Arco Auf Valleÿ

14 Hans Erwin August Friedrich Bresselau von Bressensdorf

15 Oskar Frieherr Kress von Kressenstein

16 Heinrich Freiherr von Koenitz

17 Heinrich Freiherr von Aretin

18 Franz Freiherr Redwitz

19 Leonard (or Hans) Räth

20 Joseph Ernst Hermann Theodor Karl Maria Erbgr. Fugger von Gloett

21 Karl Graf von Moy

22 Karl Freiherr Von Speidel

23 Carl Max Graf Von und Zu Sandizell

24 Ludwig Freiherr von Leonrod

25 Ferdinand Maren Harthard Antoius Michael Josef Prinz von Der Leyen und Zu Hohen Geroldseck

26 Franz Freiherr von Pfetten

27 Albert Freiherr Aretin

28 Robert Karl Banfield

29 Claus Philipp Maria Justinian Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg

30 unknown 30

31 unknown 31

32 Otto Freiherr Von Kramer

33 Karl August Friedrich Freiherr von Bonnet Zu Meautry

34 Josef Fries

35 Rudolf Graf von Marogna-Redwitz

36 Karl Georg Bernhard Ritter von Gonnermann

37 Maximilian Freiherr von Mauchenheim Genannt Bechtolsheim

38 unknown 38

39 Ferdinand Graf von Arco-Zinneberg

40 Claus von Stauffenberg's personal stamp

I will post close-ups of the few unknowns later to see if anyone feels inspired to guess.

Colin

Edited by ColinRF

Fregatte -If its Banfield I think it must be a relative. see - <a href="http://www.german-militaria.de/details/d43010.html" target="_blank">http://www.german-militaria.de/details/d43010.html</a> for Gottfried's signature

Colin, that's likely the situation.

Gottfried the well known naval flying boat ace, had an older brother Karl who also flew, and was credited with several kills. There was another relative Frederick Banfield (a cousin I think), and also flew for the Austrians.

Gottfried stayed in Trieste after it was annexed by Italy, and became an Italian citizen. His younger brother Karl left the newly annexed area for England in 1920, and spent several years in there, until returning to Trieste circa 1925 or so.

Edited by Les

Thanks Les - Robert Karl Banfield is on the rolls of 1. Schwere Reiter so it must be him as almost every officer signing this piece was a member of this regiment at this time and Stauffenberg's Uncle Berthold was Colonel. I expect the newly minted officer cadet Claus would have been sitting with these vets or would have been intoruduced to them by his Uncle at the dinner.

I acquired another piece signed by Stauffenberg and many of the same individuals when I purchased this one. I later sold that one at auction. It was a replica Bavarian standard printed on cloth with pencil signatures. Here's a scan

Thanks

Colin

Edited by ColinRF

unknown 38 - perhaps starts with Max or Hans?

Any help or guesses gratefully received.

Also - I have susbcribed to the Bavarian rangliste database on Ancestry.de for 6 mos so let me know if you need anything looked up. :D

Cheers

Colin

• 2 months later...

Thanks to the input from a contact in germany on another forum I think I have settled on # 9 being General der Infanterie Franz Freiherr von Soden, a Pour le Merite holder and father-in-law of Hartmann Maria Frhr. von Ow Auf Wachendorf (#6).

Also # 31 appears to be Lt. a.D. Freiherr von Ribaupierre of 1. Schwere Reiter Regiment per the 1914-1918 rangliste.

Here's an updated list:

1 Eckart Anton von Pappus und Trazberg Freiherr Zu Laubenberg und Rauhenzell

2 Richard Walther

3 Berthold Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg

4 Ferdinand von Kobell

5 Hans Freiherr von Koenitz

6 Hartmann Maria Frhrr von Ow Auf Wachendorf

7 August Freiherr Teuffel von Birkensee

8 Karl Wilhelm Leonhard Czermak

9 Franz Freiherr von Soden

10 unknown 10

11 unknown 11

12 Stephan Freiherr Reichlin von Meldegg

13 Graf Anton Alfred Emil Hubert Georg Arco Auf Valleÿ

14 Hans Erwin August Friedrich Bresselau von Bressensdorf

15 Oskar Frieherr Kress von Kressenstein

16 Heinrich Freiherr von Koenitz

17 Heinrich Freiherr von Aretin

18 Franz Freiherr Redwitz

19 Leonard (or Hans) Räth

20 Joseph Ernst Hermann Theodor Karl Maria Erbgr. Fugger von Gloett

21 Karl Graf von Moy

22 Karl Freiherr Von Speidel

23 Carl Max Graf Von und Zu Sandizell

24 Ludwig Freiherr von Leonrod

25 Ferdinand Maren Harthard Antoius Michael Josef Prinz von Der Leyen und Zu Hohen Geroldseck

26 Franz Freiherr von Pfetten

27 Albert Freiherr Aretin

28 Robert Karl Banfield

29 Claus Philipp Maria Justinian Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg

30 unknown 30

31 Freiherr von Ribaupierre

32 Otto Freiherr Von Kramer

33 Karl August Friedrich Freiherr von Bonnet Zu Meautry

34 Josef Fries

35 Rudolf Graf von Marogna-Redwitz

36 Karl Georg Bernhard Ritter von Gonnermann

37 Maximilian Freiherr von Mauchenheim Genannt Bechtolsheim

38 unknown 38

39 Ferdinand Graf von Arco-Zinneberg

40 Claus von Stauffenberg's personal stamp

Almost there! Any additional help on #'s 10, 11, 30, 38 gratefully received (detailed scans of these signatures are posted above).

Thanks

Colin

Edited by ColinRF

• 1 month later...

Hi,

This my first post. I've revived this thread to add something that may be of interest. I have an interest in the Weimar era Reichswehr / Reichsheer.

A cabinet photo of the Training Squadron of the 17th Reiter Regiment. Claus von Stauffenberg's squadron. Taken also, in 1929.

17thReiterRegiment.jpg

A photo dated circa 1930 of the 17th Reiter Regiment on maneuvers.

scan0018.jpg

Edited by Skookum

Thanks for posting this Skookum - particularly the first shot.

Have you looked for Claus in the crowd? I believe in 1929 he would have been an officer cadet (Leutnant in 1930). Not sure if that would have entitled him to a sword. Also, I believe he was going through various qualification courses in this period so that may explain his absence if he's not there. He would be a very tall officer and I don't see anyone that looks like him .....but admittedly its hard to tell at this resolution. But a nice tie-in in any case.

Colin

Edited by ColinRF

• 11 months later...

unknown 38 - perhaps starts with Max or Hans?

Any help or guesses gratefully received.

Also - I have susbcribed to the Bavarian rangliste database on Ancestry.de for 6 mos so let me know if you need anything looked up. :D

Cheers

Colin

Finally figured this one out - Max Hermann Freiherr Riederer von Paar zu Schoenau (signing Riederer v. Paar) - also of I. Bayerisches Schwere Reiter Regiment.

Due to the fact that he was a relative of Stauffenberg through his wife, after the assassination attempt on Hitler on 20 Juli 1944, he was dismissed from his job in OKH (rank of Major d. Res.) and was expelled from the army.

Colin

Edited by ColinRF

• 1 month later...

Not sure as no one has seen him before.... could be GenLt Hans v Viereck, Kmdr 3 Kav Div that RR17 came under since 1927. Kmdr 3 Kav Div before and after v Viereck were respectively Paul Hasse and Curt v Geinanth. There were well known so neither of them