News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Researching US soldiers

bigjarofwasps

Guest Rick Research

That would depend on what period and how much information you already know. The more recent you get, the harder it is going to be. Regular officers will be easier than enlisted draftees, and so on. It all depends on the paper trail...

and whether you can avoid St. Louis if humanly possible.

Hi Guys,

I`m trying research Brigadier General Cullen U Gulko, I believe that he was a transportation Officer, possible serving during or shortly after WW2.

I know he is entitled to the Bronze Star & Army Commendation Medal.

Can anyone give me any tips as to how, I might be able to try and find out more about him and his career & medal entitlements/ citations. I believe that National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri, might hold the key, can anyone tell me the full postal address?

Gordon.

P.S Rick, is St Louis a nightmare? Is there anywhere else I could try?

Guest Rick Research

:speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

General Gulko died 17 October 2005-- 1 month and a day ago! :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1: Social Security number is shown above next to his rank-- and per the Social Security Death Index, he was resident at zip code 93514 in California, Inyo County, town of Bishop and a number of smaller named neighborhoods under that same zip code.

The local paper, wherever Inyo County is, probably has his obituary online. I'm not good at google searching.

He did not graduate from the USMA. (one or more ringbearers have been known to pass time here.)

I found an newsletter on Google called the California Sentinal Reserve Association of the United States dated Sept 2002 which lists BGEN Cullen U. Gulko Bishop, California who donated funds for the newsletter. So this confirms that he was a reservist. Kevin

Cheers Guys, you`ve all been of great help. I`ll look into it and see what I can find, and post it on the site. Interesting that he only died recently as I only bought his medal a week before he passed on!!!!!

Don't expect an immediate answer. These organizations often get hundreds and in the case of NARA thousands of e-mails and letters a week from the public. They also usually give priority to queries from other government agencies before responding to the public. Some will even tell you that they are so limited on staff that you would have to visit their location to do research in person. Kevin

Guest Rick Research

:speechless1: Dave... you're starting to frighten me now...

that warehouse at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark"--- :unsure: that wasn't a film set, was it?

That was...

YOUR place!!!!! :o

:cheeky::cheers:

Cheers Guys, that is interesting. I`ve had a look it nice to see what other medals he`s entitled too!! I have confirmed that he did died recently, I have a copy of his obituary, but it doesn`t really tell me a great deal, that I didn`t already know!!! Will keep you informed if I find anything else out.

His Army Commendation Medal was also on sale recently on ebay!!!

OFFERED HERE IS A BRIGADIER-UNIFORM CONSISTING OF THE JACKET, 2 PAIRS OF PANTS, A CRAVAT, AND A CAP. THE UNIFORM IS US ARMY ISSUE 60% POLYESTER AND 40% WOOL. THE OWNER OF THIS UNIFORM (BRIGADIER GENERAL GULKO) SERVED IN WORLD WAR 2. AND RETIRED IN THE EARLY 70'S. THIS UNIFORM IS NOW OBSOLETE. I HAVE TAKEN SEVERAL SCANS OF THE SET AS I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH MILITARY REGALIA AND ALL OF ITS ACCOUTREMENTS. THE SET ALSO COMES WITH THE OWNERS FATIGUE UNIFORM (JACKET & PANTS). BOTH SETS ARE IN CLEAN, NEWLY PRESSED AND VERY GOOD CONDITION. MINIMUM SHIPPING: WITHIN THE US: $10.00.

The ribbons are the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star, Army Commendation Medal with one Oak Leaf Cluster, American Defense Service WWII, American Campaign WWII, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign WWII with three campaign participation bronze stars, WWII Victory, Occupation Medal WWII, Armed Foces Reserve Medal with two hour glasses (30 years service) Philippine Liberation WWII, Philipppine Independence.

Edited by ehrentitle

Cullen U Gulko

General Gulko entered the army as an enlisted man in November 1941 and served in that capacity until he was commissioned as a second lieu ant, Transportation Corps, from OCS in June 1943. His assignments included Troop Movement Officer, Admin Officer, Executive Officer, Superintendent, Water Div, and Deputy Base Port Guinea and Yokohama: and Superintendent Water Div, Otaru, Japan. He was released from active duty in Feb 1946.

In the US Army Reserve Component Status, Gen Gulko served as an enlisted man in the Army National Guard from August 1933 to June 1936. In March 1946 he joined the Army Reserve and has served as Superintendent Water Div, Cargo Ops Officer and Director Port Ops of the 368th Major Port: Supt Water Div, Assistant Chief of Staff, G3, and Chief of Staff 368th Transportation Terminal Command: Transportation Officer, Director of Supply and Maintenance, acting Commander, 311th Log Com ?. He entered his present assignment in Jan 1968 and was promoted to Brig Gen effective 26th Sept 1969.

Military Education, Transportation School OCS 1943 Amphibious Trg 1951,58: Command Officer Course 1954, Officers Advanced Course 1957: Command and General Staff College 1962, refresher 1963-69, Industrial College of Armed Forces 1963, Nuclear Weapons Employment Orientation 1963,64 and refresher 65,67,69, Army Logs Man Course 1967, Logs Cert 1970, Army War College Nonresident Course 1972.

Military Decorations, Bronze Star Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Presidential Unit Citation: Philippine Distinguished Unit Citation.

Cullen U. Gulko

1916-2005

No funeral services will be held for 17-year Bishop resident Cullen U. Gulko. Interment will be at the Home of Peace Memorial Park and Mausoleum in Los Angeles.

Born in San Pedro May 2, 1916, Cullen died at the Bishop Care Centre in Bishop on Oct. 17, 2005. He was 89.

Cullen retired from the Army Reserves as a Brigadier General.

He is survived by his wife, Madalyn Gulko of Bishop; sister, Rita Syman of San Rafael; niece, Judy Halpern; and nephews, Gary Syman, Ken Gulko, Steven Gulko and Arlan Gulko.