News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1813 ek2 with envelope

Hello,

O would like to try to see the problem in a philological way.

The inscription on the paper has a wrong construction: it should be:

Rosenthal, Juweliere

Friedrich Strasse N?82

Berlin

Or with "Berlin" above the address. Why should the label of a firm start with the city? I'm very suspicious with that paper.

The cross looks late 19th Century, or even later, but a proper answer could be given having the cross in the hands: quite often, a picture isn't enough to judge a piece.

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang

Interesting Eric... the ribbon and paper seem to have real (and appropriate) wear for a very early piece. The printing (is it actually printed, or hand-written) seems to have contextual issue; but I have seen addresses from makers like this.

The cross itself doesn't match any of the above and does not look consistent with any 1813 EK2 I have seen/handled from any period.

If it's legit (as that is always possible)... it's a very, very late piece (possibly even 1930+). In which case it wouldn't really match with the paper and/or the ribbon.

If you look at the ribbon itself, the wear is quite consistent of ribbon made 1820-1860... the acid eats away and damages the ribbon color exactly as shown...

Folding pattern and paper is consistent with how these crosses were packaged. At least from what I have seen.

The only addresses I have come across in reverse, are those of the ex-Communist Bloc

countries, its a style that still exists in Romania,

First the county, town, street, Block, floor, apartment, and then family name. :rolleyes:

Kevin in Deva. :beer: