News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Officers Shoulder Board Thread

• Replies 147
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 6 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 10 months later...

While on this subject, I thought I might get some opinions regarding a question I have had. You see so many M15 officer's field boards with subdued braid, but non-regulation bright numbers. I suppose that most of the uniforms that survived the war were in some cabinet in Germany or were kept behind the lines for walking out dress purposes. This might explain the lack of a need to wear subdued numbers and cyphers. On the other hand, perhaps the tailors had stocks of the bright insignia that they wanted to get rid of first. Any thoughts about this?

Chip

Edited by Chip

While on this subject, I thought I might get some opinions regarding a question I have had. You see so many M15 officer's field boards with subdued braid, but non-regulation bright numbers. I suppose that most of the uniforms that survived the war were in some cabinet in Germany or were kept behind the lines for walking out dress purposes. This might explain the lack of a need to wear subdued numbers and cyphers. On the other had, perhaps the tailors had stocks of the bright insignia that they wanted to get rid of first. Any thoughts about this?

Chip

Chip,

I wondered about that as well - even in a lot of trench portraits it appears officers were wearing golden numbers or ciphers. I think besides your point, it was simply a preference of some (perhaps most) officers.

post-1062-065520000 1290974848_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Chris,

I don't know if there is any way to tell a tunic board from an overcoat board in this case. Both could be removable and I don't think the length plays any role. They definitely appear to be an earlier, heavier style more typical of pre-1910 boards.

Chip

• 2 months later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...

Christophe,

I agree with your assessment that these are pre-war shoulder boards. If the buttons came with them, I would think that they most likely came from an overcoat.

Regards,

Chip

• 3 weeks later...

Now I just need to find same shoulderboards but wartime and why not another one with Kaiser Karl monogram ! :whistle:

Christophe

Christophe,

I am looking for the wartime enlisted man's version with either the "FJ" or the "K". If you find one of those, we can do some trading!

Chip