News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Officers Shoulder Board Thread

• 2 months later...
    • Replies 147
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 1 month later...

Here is mine. I know it is (L)uftschiffer, but still would appreciate some more information (particularly rank and/or unit).

Regards,

Marcin

Marcin, this is a shoulder board of a Rittmeister belonging to the Hessian Garde-Dragoner-Regiment Nr.23 (1. Großherzoglich Hessisches). Note the Red silk woven into the silver it is the color of Hessen.

Beautiful shoulder board!

Edited by Naxos

• 3 months later...

Marcin,

There were actually a bunch of units that had an "L" Chiffre. The crowned "L's" are always royal initials. The Luftschiffer "L", of course, had no crown above it and was a different style.

Regards,

Chip

• 5 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 3 months later...

Back to Marcin's question about Luftschiffer "L"s. I thought I would add an example for his future reference. In this case it is a Saxon Luftschiffer officer.

Chip

Edited by Chip

So I understand the important difference between both "L" is the crown now, correct? :Cat-Scratch:

Marcin,

That's an important difference, but only part of it. Every "L" was different. There are a few that are extremely similar (for instance the Luftschiffer and the Kürassier Rgt. Nr.2 "L"s), but there are slight differences. The following units also have an "L" cypher, I.R.47, 10.b.I.R., Dragoner Rgt.Nr.23. I have even seen a dealer trying to sell a "Luftschiffer" officer's shoulder board with a "T" from the Telegraphentruppen turned upside-down, which sort of looks like an "L".. The last straw is that the majority of officer cyphers have been reproduced and are readily available on some German dealers of reproduction items websites. You can literally get just about anything you want. They are not cheap, but you can get them. That's why it is always prudent to be skeptical of any officer piece until you check it out thoroughly.

Chip