News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Is it this Order that of Maria Christina ?

lilo

Dear All,

Below attached is the medal group to the most decorated Italian fighter pilot of all times : Ettore Muti.

He fought in the Spanish Civil War (1936-39).

My question is :

Is it the breast star in the up right of the medal group (that indicated with the 'Red Arrow') that of the Spain, Order of Maria Christina ?

If yes, can someone let me see which is the ribbon pertaining to this Order ?

Many Thanks in advance

Best Regards

Lilo

P.S.

As an aside it seems to me to have see this order at the following links :

- See Post #48 at http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=34128&st=40

- See Post #85 at http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=34128&st=80

Edited by lilo

The Star (This is a Breast Star, Normaly worn at the Left pocket or under it), is a directly descendent of the Maria Cristina order., But , being a New one non conected with the Monarchie, it bears some differences: is smaller in Diametre, the crow is the "open" style or Imperail crown favored by nationalist forces (General Franco), No Lys flowers (Borbonic) on the central "ecuson", instead they bear a Granate fruit (Reminiscents fronm the Catholic king conquest of the Moorish Kingdom of Granada, that ended the Spanish "reconquista" (re-conquest or expulsion of the arabs from spain after 800 yera of domination, in 1490)

The Star is Called: War cross, (Cruz de Guerra) and has some Grades:

Grand cross: With right shoulder band (Ligh Blue with central white stripe) and the Cross (greek) of oxidized silver with gold rim and with gilded central crown, and four swords at the angles (only the handles are visibles) - this cross is the same of the war cross for OR. badge-, pending from a bow

and is intended for field officers (Blue ring with "MERITO EN CAMPA?A" on it; and red ring with the same lettering for junior officers and NCO)

War cross (for field officers): As described above, with the central lettering "MERITO EN CAMAPA?A" (Campaign or field merit), on a Blue backgroundg.

War cross for junior officers and NCO: As above but the lettering comes on a red background

War cross for soldiers and Corporals: As described in the Grand cross, but being a breast ribbon (blue-white-blue) cross

If the merits are nearly enough to have an advance (of grade) in the scale, or a the Military medal, but has not enough for them but the merits are superior that those for the War cross: The central part bears 2 gilded palms (as you can see at the pics)

Hello Hipnos,

Many thanks for your detailed answer.

A couple of clarification please :

1) Ettore Muti was a Captain when he volunteered to fight in Spain becoming part of the "Tercio". On 15th of March, 1937 He was promoted Major for War Merit, a rank that He held for the duration of that conflict. Considering these ranks, which between the two 'Cruz de Guerra' showed in the 2 photos you posted above Ettore Muti received : that with the central 'red background' (on the left) or that with the central 'blue background' (on the right) ?

2) Regarding the colours of the ribbon for this 'Cruz de Guerra', you have written that it has a : 'breast ribbon (blue-white-blue)'. I please you to see the photos I attached below as both have the identical ribbon that differ from what you have said this 'Cruz de Guerra' has. Can you please specify which is the correct ribbon ??

Many Thanks

All the Best

Lilo

The 'Cruz de Guerra' in the miniature medal group below is on the extreme right

Edited by lilo

Lilo, Thank you for posting the photo of Ettore Muti's awards.

For what it's worth, German volunteers in the Spanish Civil War who were awarded the Cruz de Guerra by Spain - regardless of rank - seem to have only been awarded the 'blue background' badge, like that shown in your funeral pillow photo. If I understand Hipnos correctly, the badge you posted directly under the funeral pillow photo is that of a Maria Cristina order.

Several months ago I posted a question about the same medal in post #4 (above), but I don't recall anyone providing specific information on it. The center enameled design of the medal is different from Spanish Civil War-period medals/badges, which leads me to believe this medal is not from that period.

Hi Scott,

You should bear in mind that the medals in the funeral pillow are not all the decoration/medals/orders received by Ettore Muti. On an italian website it is mentioned that He received something as 46 awards. I don't know how much true is this affirmation but I'm trying to investigate the full medal entitlement of this Person.

Thank You for having answered one of my two question.

Anyone that can tell me what is the correct ribbon for this award ??

Many Thanks in advance

Regards

Lilo

The photo below shows two modern ribbon bars for WWII German Pilots and veterans of the Spanish Civil War (see the arrows). Are these ribbons authorized by Spain for the Cruz de Guerra, or 'best-guess' by a post-war German ribbon bar maker?. I think they are a guess since the Cruz de Guerra of the type shown on the funeral pillow was not originally awarded with a ribbon.

Edited by Scott

I believe that she is a War Cross for officiers will grant al personal that she will have made acts or "very outstanding" services that had extraordinary effectiveness for the development del it fights or it battles.

- For chiefs, plaque with silver bottom.

Cross military with Palms will grant to the personnel who, having proposed for Promotion or Military Medal, totally does not fill the indicated conditions, but if he reunites them superior to the demanded for the Cross military.

- The plaque described with the variations of being of dark red enamel the shield, that takes to the legend "AL M?RITO EN CAMPA?A" and the addition of two superposed crossed gold palms.

The Order of 15.01.1940 authorizes the personnel who is in possession of the War Cross so that he takes in the ribbon bar, like symbol, an equal silk ribbon which he represented the old Cross of Maria Cristina width of three centimeters, divided in three equal parts: the central, with the national flag colour (red/yellow/red), and those of the flanks, white, with a crimson edge, of a millimeter.

The last image corresponds to a CROSS for enlisteds of the Order of Maria Cristina, not to a War Cross

Also I have found this, but not if is the same person

DECREE by which Knight of the Imperial Order del Yoke and the Arrows, granting to him the Grand Cross to Mr. Ettore Muti, Minister Secretary of the Facist Party of Italy and General Consul of the M.V.S.N.

I believe that she is a War Cross for officiers will grant al personal that she will have made acts or "very outstanding" services that had extraordinary effectiveness for the development del it fights or it battles.

- For chiefs, plaque with silver bottom.

Cross military with Palms will grant to the personnel who, having proposed for Promotion or Military Medal, totally does not fill the indicated conditions, but if he reunites them superior to the demanded for the Cross military.

- The plaque described with the variations of being of dark red enamel the shield, that takes to the legend "AL M?RITO EN CAMPA?A" and the addition of two superposed crossed gold palms.

The Order of 15.01.1940 authorizes the personnel who is in possession of the War Cross so that he takes in the ribbon bar, like symbol, an equal silk ribbon which he represented the old Cross of Maria Cristina width of three centimeters, divided in three equal parts: the central, with the national flag colour (red/yellow/red), and those of the flanks, white, with a crimson edge, of a millimeter.

The last image corresponds to a CROSS for enlisteds of the Order of Maria Cristina, not to a War Cross

Also I have found this, but not if is the same person

DECREE by which Knight of the Imperial Order del Yoke and the Arrows, granting to him the Grand Cross to Mr. Ettore Muti, Minister Secretary of the Facist Party of Italy and General Consul of the M.V.S.N.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2009/post-4281-1235985066.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2009/post-4281-1235985085.jpg

I add some images more...(sorry for tyhe quality)

Notwhitstanding the great knowledge of Antonio Prieto, IMHO, the lower degree of the award, that?s only for Privates and Corporals and is the cross Before described. with the ribbon blue-white-blue. (The image with the maria cristina cross, without lys flower in the ecusson, bears, clearly, the Mural crown and the violet stripe on the ribbon that makes it as correspondent to a "Republicanized" Maria Cristina award.

For more information:

So, The order of awards precedence in the Nationalist Army was:

1/Cruz laureada---------------------------------------Laureate cross of st. Ferdinand

2/ Medalla Militar--------------------------------------Military Medal

3/ Avance en la escala por meritos de Guerra-----Advancement in grade for combat merits

4/ Cruz de Guerra con Palmas----------------------War Cross with Palms

5/ idem sin palmas----------------------War Cross

6/ Cruz del merito militar (distintivo rojo)---------Military Merit cross red enamel (War merit)

7/ Citacion--------------------------------------------MID ??

Hi Antonio / Hipnos

Many thanks for your clarifications.

Hipnos

What is the post of the 'Order del Yoke and the Arrows' in the order of precedence you compiled above ??

To reassume and if anyone will correct me on what I have understood, Ettore Muti received the :

- Spain, 'Cruz de Guerra', without palms and with 'blue central background'.

The ribbon worn in his ribbon bar is identical to that of the below attached photo.

Edited by lilo

What is the post of the 'Order del Yoke and the Arrows' in the order of precedence you compiled above ??

This is a civil and political decorations. Always afhter of all the military decorations

See for the more info http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/medallas/texto/yugoflecha.htm

Yes, I believe that Ettore Muti received the :

- Spain, 'Cruz de Guerra', without palms and with 'blue central background'.

The ribbon worn in his ribbon bar is identical to that of the below attached photo.