News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ordre de l??toile d'Anjouan

Roeland

Hello gents,

I've got a question regarding the French colonial order: Ordre de l??toile d'Anjouan.

I look for them often on ebay, the text, according to many books, should display the word Royal in

it (ORDRE ROYAL DE ?TOILE D?ANJOUAN COMORES).

Most I see with this text are clearly original.

However, I see a different type more and more often for sale.

They always concern the commander grade (haven't seen it in a different grade yet) and they don't look very old.

It looks the same but without the word ROYAL in the text (can't remember if there are other differences, but I don't think there are).

They often go for up to +-300 euro.

Does anyone know more about that type?

kind regards,

Roeland

I have never been able to determine the proper name of the award (in Arabic) and I suspect the rendering of the name over into French has been fairly haphazard.

This French usage may (?) be trying to reflect the difference between the first variety (1874-99) and the second (1899-1963).

Gentlemen,

Some insignia possibly pre-1899 has the inscription ORDRE DE ?TOILE D'ANJOUAN COMORES. This opinion is based on insignia with old ribbon attached to dated award documents, so may not be conclusive. It is not clear from any French references I am familiar with whether these are statutory or varient insignia. Ed probably correctly makes a point in that most all insignia identifiable as post 1890 has the wording ORDRE ROYAL DE ?TOILE D'ANJOUAN COMORES to indicate the order's 'new' colonial status. Besides usual contemporary 'official' references and bestowal documents, manufacturer catalogs use this style.

The Republic of the Comores reinstituted/reactivated this Order some years after instituting the Order of the Green Crescent. Apparently, the first Republican insignia used was the same as the colonial order i.e. with inscription ORDRE ROYAL DE ?TOILE D'ANJOUAN COMORES. Later issues have the inscription ORDRE DE ?TOILE D'ANJOUAN COMORES. This type is now on sale at various Parisian shops. I 'm traveling now but will post more specific info when I return home--maybe 3-6 weeks. Ed Emering may have posted some info regarding this change on his site. There may be more on French websites dealing with the subject too.

The very first examples conferred simply had the wording "Sultan d'Anjouan" on the circular rim of the central medallion. This was an eight-pointed star with straght rays and a small five-rayed star between the two upper rays and the suspension loop.

In the last years of the nineteenth century the present familiar design took shape and the inscription became "Ordre Royal de l'etoile d'Anjouan" "Comores".

The order was recognized by the French government and became a french colonial order in 1897. After that I expect that it was the French conferred decorations that may have had "Ordre de l'etoile d'Anjouan" "Comores" to distinguish it from the awards made by the Sultan. I don't know when the French conferred awards were changed to the "Royal" inscription, but the Sultan was still making awards in 1915 and he died in 1931.

Cheers,

James

• 2 months later...

Hello Gentlemen,

The Order of the Star of Anjouan has been made with lots of variations.Including some with the word "royal" missing.To add to confusion the Republic of Comoros reinstituted the Order of the Star of Anjouan as its highest ranking award in 1992.There is even a Grand Master Collar now (for the President of Comoros only).The 1992 version is without the word "royal" of course and of cruder workmanship.

I agree with James,the Order of the Star of Anjouan was created in 1874,and reorganised on 18 june 1892.The Order of the Star of Anjouan was then after recognised & allowed by Council of Minister of France 12 September 1896 & declared a Colonial Order. (Source : Les Ordres Coloniaux Fran?ais by Brasiet & Brunet Paris 1899 ).

For memory France established its full Protectorate on Comoros (for the 4 islands) on 6 January 1886.

The 1st ribbon was red bordered in white.By a decision of 11 July 1898,the Concil of the Order of the Legion of Honour had imposed that the decoration of the Order of the Star of Anjouan could NOT anymore be worn without its ribbon.

The ribbon changed from the red bordered in white,to the bleu one with 2 tiny orange stripes towards edge around 1899.

I have to add that in 99,8 % of the badge you can see the right hand in the center,but it exist a very rare variation with the left hand.

Here I include picture of the 1st Type of Order of the Star of Anjouan (unfortunately they aren't mine).

The 1st picture has only the Motto : "Sultan d'Anjouan" and is supposed to be a model given before 1886 (Protectorate).The second picture has the motto (also enameled in green) : Ordre Rotal de l'Etoile d'Anjouan Comores.

The 1st is in silver,the 2nd in silver gilt.

But watch carefully those pictures,it's the left hand which is on center !!!

Do not ask picture of reverse,or hallmarks,they are NOT mine.

Emmanuel

Here are 2 specimen of Order of the Star of Anjouan from the version after 1899.

The knight at left is early (before 1914) and the officer is not a recent ones too.

Most of those made in the 50ies & 60ies were made of bronze-gilt,not silver.

But again you have lots lots of variation in size,finishing,reverse (concave or convex)...

Emmanuel

Usually the breast star of the Order of the Star of Anjouan is 8 pointed.

A few months agao,on a very well known internet site sale,this breast star came (6 points).

I never saw such a model before,and I didn't boughtit,but I kept the picture.

So you can now enjoy it.

Do not ask for size,hallmark or anything else.I just keep the picture as a memento.

Emmanuel