News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Endley Collection : Part 2 : World War One

Will

Congratulations again on a really amazing collection. It must be the best of its kind.

I would be interested in knowing to whom the SAGS, QSA, KSA, Natal, CAFOD & CAFM medal group on the top row of the Boer War medal collection was awarded. It must be a unique combination, or nearly so.

Regards

Brett

Hi Brett,

Thank you for the kind words.

The group was awarded to Captain M. Landsberg of the Umvoti Mounted Rifles. .

During the Anglo-Zulu War he was the RSM of the Border Hussars and took part in the Battle of Nditzane.

His photograph is in Curzon's badge book.

He was an Intelligence Officer in both the Boer War and 1906 rebellion, hence the clap "NATAL" on the QSA.

Regards,

Will

Will

I will look forward to seeing the new medal boards. I am busy thinning out my police collection and, in case you are interested, I will put aside for you two single issue WWI War Medals to men of the 2nd Military Constabulary in SWA (one English and one Afrikaans), as well as a 3-clasp QSA to a 'bad egg' Trooper in the SAC, who was shot and wounded by a guard while he was drunk and disorderly (i.e the Trooper, not the guard).

Regards

Brett

VERY RARE TRANSVAAL REPUBLIC FOOT POLICE FORAGE CAP

This cap is very similar to the British 1871 forage cap. The cap band is made from mohair braid and bears the brass monogram of the Boer Republic.

ZARP TUNIC 1895 VERSION

In 1895 a contract was concluded between the company of Gordon Mitchell of London and the Transvaal for the manufacture of uniforms for the ZARPS. The tunic is of dark blue serge wool edged with black mohair braid. This was also continued and completed on the epaulettes and collar. It is fastened with hooks and eyes.

THE BATTLE OF BERGENDAL 27 AUGUST 1900

This was also known as the Battle of Belfast and was the last set piece battle of the Anglo-Boer War. It started with a cavalry strike and artillery barrage. Buller had seen the tactical or key terrain in Botha's position. It was a big red koppie near a farm called Bergendal.

The koppie could not be supported from the sides or rear so Botha entrusted the defence to 60 members of the Johannesburg Police or the ZARPS.

Following a three hour bombardment by some 40 guns of various calibres, 4 battalions of Infantry attacked the position. The British expected the ZARP Resistance to have crumbled but they had merely being holding their fire.

Fourteen ZARPS were killed and nineteen captured. The ZARPS had been annihilated as a fighting force. The gallantry of the ZARPS was applauded by the British.

"NO ORDINARY DUTCHMAN WOULD HAVE HELD ON LIKE THAT. IT MUST BE A PERFECT INFERNO"

General Lyttelton, British Assault Commander at Belfast.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2009/post-3034-125490529343.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2009/post-3034-125490529985.jpg

BURGER J.A.J COETZEE

Josef Jacobus Coetzee was a member of the Johannesburg Foot Police or ZARPS. His service in the Anglo-Boer War commenced on 5 November 1899. He participated in various battles and also was present at the Siege of Ladysmith. He was present at the Battle of Belfast and managed to escape capture when the ZARPS made their heroic stand against overwhelming British Forces. Other engagements included Pretoria, Witrand and many skirmishes. On 25 April 1901 he was captured at the Secoecoeiberg and sent to India as a P.O.W. He was interred at Trichipoly and was given the P.O.W. number of 18554. He only returned home in 1904.

• 4 weeks later...

A collection to be very proud of. I will now look through my own humble bits and pieces and anything South African deserves to be in its rightful home. I will email in due course.

A superb display and mirrors the tremendous SA contribution in any conflict. Where would we British be without such 'friends'.

Of course I was particularly interested in your MG items, SA, British and German and will see if I have anything of use there too.

Great display and as other members say some national museum curators could learn a thing or two from your excellent efforts.

If I only I were a lady....my efforts to marry you would be unbeatable!!! :>)

Mark

A collection to be very proud of. I will now look through my own humble bits and pieces and anything South African deserves to be in its rightful home. I will email in due course.

A superb display and mirrors the tremendous SA contribution in any conflict. Where would we British be without such 'friends'.

Of course I was particularly interested in your MG items, SA, British and German and will see if I have anything of use there too.

Great display and as other members say some national museum curators could learn a thing or two from your excellent efforts.

If I only I were a lady....my efforts to marry you would be unbeatable!!! :>)

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Will

• 1 month later...
    • 4 weeks later...

I managed to find a bit of time during my brief December 2009 break to do some upgrades and place additional items in the room that houses my WW1 and early South African Police displays and collection.

It was fashionable for tailors to make uniforms for children. This child's uniform depicts a 2 SAI officer and comes complete with miniature cap and shortened pace stick.