News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Alexander's Military School Graduate's Badge

Chuck In Oregon

Heavy bronze (or brass), two pieces, pre-WW I, I think. There is one in Avers 3, item 284, that they date to 1909.

But ... who in the heck designed that oh-so-ugly eagle feeding her chicks in the nest, the center design of the badge? I mean, come on. Yeah, I get the symbolism, but that is one bad, bad design. It kinda looks like a Hydra, or maybe a pelican, or a winged snake about to eat the little guys. I bet the cadets from the other academies ragged them mercilessly.

Chuck

Here my example. Has enamel damage, I fixed up a bit..

Can stand the design, its the emblem of Alexandrinsky Orphans Institute.

Pelican feeding nestlings.

George

You mean it really IS a pelican? Well, I'll be darned. If it's the symbol of an orphanage, that makes it a little more meaningful, but why tie it into a military school?

As a point of possible interest, my wife and I operate a small American charity that supports a couple of children's homes in Georgia. Personally, I'd rather not have a symbol than have that one.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck In Oregon