News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Whytes Auction RDS 14th March

Hi,

Anyone any comments or views on the prices achieved at last Saturdays auction? I was there and my own opinion is that the sale was very poor, prices were well down on other years and there wasn't much of an atmosphere in the sale room. Were the results at this sale just a glitch or will prices for higher end items collapse in the short to medium term?

Thanks,

Molders.

Hi,

Anyone any comments or views on the prices achieved at last Saturdays auction? I was there and my own opinion is that the sale was very poor, prices were well down on other years and there wasn't much of an atmosphere in the sale room. Were the results at this sale just a glitch or will prices for higher end items collapse in the short to medium term?

Thanks,

Molders.

I thought some of the photographs, death cards and other papers went well but you are certainly right about the Irish medals. I was surprised at how little bidding there was on some very nice well documented groups of 1916 and Black and Tan medals. Maybe with the recession the 16 Rising and War of Independence medals have peaked. An interesting item on Ebay caught my eye recently, are we at last going to see that signed copy of the Proclamation.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VERY-OLD-PRINTED-Copy-of-1916-SIGNED-IRISH-PROCLAMATION_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ356QQihZ008QQitemZ180335339669QQrdZ1QQss

pagenameZWDVWQQsalenotsupported

Thanks Brendan, I looked at that ebay lsting, is that guy ok in the head??? That poster is about as old as I am, and I'm a long way yet from the bus pass!

A good little source book on the 1916 Proclamation is "The 1916 Proclamation" by John O Connor, as well as a good background on the Proclamation it also has the Roll of Honour for each of the garrisons at the rear. I've seen it in Easons for a few Euros.

Hi Molders,

I am not sure what the Ebay seller thinks he has but he is convinced he has something, I was tempted to send him a long list of all the things wrong with his claims about the copy of the Proclamation but judging from his replies to other questions and opinions he has had from other Ebayers I think I would be wasting my time. I suppose if he has paid a lot of money for it himself then he has convinced himself it is genuine and nobody will change his mind.

I have read the book you mentioned, I have a copy. Another interesting medal being offer, this one by Kerry Auction Rooms, a named 1916 medal, link below. I can not find his name either on the list in the O'Connor book or a list I got from the National Library (both lists are the same apart form a few variant spellings). Listed under the medals section.

http://www.kerryauctionrooms.com/catalogue/auction22-03-09/auction_18.htm