News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Doctors badge

GeorgeCL

Guest Rick Research

Do these badges unscrew into many little parts, or is the felt insert "soldered in" as a permanent part of the badge?

Does the color have some significance? Later Soviet badges distinguished between colleges and universities by the shapes of graduation badges and enamel background color.

These are fascinating-- endless diversity.

You beat me to it with this badge. Here's mine. The badge is silver plated and the snakes are gilted.

You can read the name of the doctor on the plate. I bought his very interesting group from his family a couple of years ago. Recently they called up said they had found his physician's badge and did I want it? No question about that, and now it is in my collection and this is it. I'll post the whole group later on. I suspect it will be well received.

Chuck

I knew I had this one around somewhere. I just couldn't find it yesterday. This is also a physician's badge, but much different than my/our other variant. As you can see from the third image, this one is much smaller. I understand that it is quite scarce, as well.

The construction of this badge is interesting. Once again, the eagle appears to be a stock piece, merely silver-plated brass. However, the medical insignia itself is solid silver. The outer leaves also appear to be silver, and individually made and attached as well. The medical insignia is 84 proofed and hallmarked DK. As you likely know, DK is Dmitri Kuchkin, one of the leading silver masters of his time. The screwplate also bears his hallmark but it is not proofed.