News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Reading through past Police Posts , I was surprised to see that for the whole of last year there were only 12 ! We really are the 'forgotten' service - until you need one, that is - and then there is never one around !!

I have no wish to look as if I'm trying to take over this forum - however, if I post a number of different items it might spur others on to show pieces from their collections. I will 'do' another 2 or 3 and see what reaction ?

This lovely cap is the pattern for Inspectors and Superintendents - although this one is a Supt's. - they date from the 1890's to about the 1st WW. Prior to this the army and officers of police were wearing the horrible little pillbox - this sat on the side of the head and to hold it on the strap always had to be down. Basically, they made it a little larger and added a peak - also, for ranks of Supt. and above , they added bullion on the peak. This particular cap has a King's crown - so, is for Edward V11 (1902-1910). Being collectors we always ask - How much ? About ?150/200 - it is rare, so perhaps a little more.

Mervyn

Here are some items in my collection with a polce headgear connection. Not in the same league as the piece you displayed but interesting nonetheless. The first is an early RUC constable's peaked cap. This is from the 1960s when the uniform was still a dark blue/black colour.

Next up an Inspector's cap from the 1980s. This is the more familiar dark green uniform.

And finally a really nice RUC Superintendant's peaked cap, also from the 1980s.

Paul

These are very good examples - and always remember - the RUC guarded their equipment more vigilantly then the mainland forces - so these are very collectable. I used to have two rare badges for the Belfast Harbour Police,not sure where they are now. Thankyou for sharing - now, with your influence - get everyone else to post - I think in two days we've exceeded last year !!

Mervyn

Guest Rick Research

Is there any difference between Victorian era mainland U.K. police uniforms and those worn in the vast formerly ink-colored parts of the map? Aside from makers' labels, would a Superintendent's cap like that above have been the same everywhere, or were there different buttons or local insignia to tell them apart?

Is there any difference between Victorian era mainland U.K. police uniforms and those worn in the vast formerly ink-colored parts of the map? Aside from makers' labels, would a Superintendent's cap like that above have been the same everywhere, or were there different buttons or local insignia to tell them apart?

They were pretty much all different, Rick.

Countless variations depending on locality.

Even today, there's no real standardisation...................a Supt's cap in England is totally different from a Scottish one.

Rank badges are pretty standard, although the rank terminology has changed over the years. A Chief Inspector, for example, was formerly known as a Lieutenant.

Edited by Robin Lumsden

One other point to Robin's reply, is that many of our colonial police forces were para-military and with the climate were often in khaki. South African police ranks for officers were based on their military counter parts - however, after 1994 (Govt.change) they had senior officers from the Met. advise them and they now follow the British style.

Mervyn

A very nice helmet - the chromed badge is typical for that period. Mine used to have the E11R on separate pins - the Met. have always been mean and I suppose they thought it would be cheaper to change. I never understand all of these amalgamations in both the Services and the police - experience should have told them that the public like their own force or, regt.. These days the price of older helmets with good badges has rocketed.

Mervyn

Sorry to come back - doing some research on a WW1 medal group, I discovered that the Royal Naval Air Service's first manned balloon in 1907 had the name Nilli Secundus- they had a machine gun in the small basket. There was also a NS2. Just one of those silly little bits of info. we all find !

Mervyn

A very nice helmet - the chromed badge is typical for that period. Mine used to have the E11R on separate pins - the Met. have always been mean and I suppose they thought it would be cheaper to change. I never understand all of these amalgamations in both the Services and the police - experience should have told them that the public like their own force or, regt.. These days the price of older helmets with good badges has rocketed.

Mervyn

On the subject of meaness - the old blackened metal Kings Crown helmet plate of the Huntingdonshire police was adapted after the ascension of Queen Elizabeth II by chopping off the crown & brazing on a St Edwards Crown, I would imagine the Kings Crown versions are fairly scarce now.

And I don't know what Kent wear nowadys, but in the 1980's their helmet plate was of red plastic, the whole thing other than the red circular "backing" to the silver coloured central device being painted / plated in some kind of silver chrome looking finish, which cracked & flaked off. Terrible things.

• 5 weeks later...

I should think anything from Huntingdonshire would be rare and sought after - they must have been a small force?

Hi Mervyn

Huntingdon only had 470 serving officers that can be found on records of joining during its 108 years, no wonder anything from them is hard to find. I have one or two prize items in my collection from Huntingdon County Police but still seek a QC helmet plate and cap badge.

Alan

Dear Alan

From another recent member - may I say welcome !

I had not realised Huntingdonshire was such a small force - I expect you will have the same problems posting pictures that all us 'newbies' had - however, it would be great to see some of your pictures.

Mervyn

Dear Alan

From another recent member - may I say welcome !

I had not realised Huntingdonshire was such a small force - I expect you will have the same problems posting pictures that all us 'newbies' had - however, it would be great to see some of your pictures.

Mervyn

Hi Mervyn

You can see my collection at http://www.thebadger.free-online.co.uk/index.htm I think we have a common friend Ian Shepard from Knutsford, as he has mentioned you to me. Do you still have the Chatteris Specials badge that is shown in your book The Policemans Lot?

I will try and upload some pictures when I get the chance.

Regards Alan

Alan, I may still have the badge - it will have to wait until I can get someone to go to the flat. Ian has had quite a few pieces from the collection. Look forward to your posts and will check your webste when I log off.

Hi Mervyn

Huntingdon only had 470 serving officers that can be found on records of joining during its 108 years, no wonder anything from them is hard to find. I have one or two prize items in my collection from Huntingdon County Police but still seek a QC helmet plate and cap badge.

Alan

The wife's been based at Huntingdon PS for a few years now, I just ran your chromed helmet plate past her, I have no idea why as I was bound to get a negative reply.