News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2009/post-6209-1237724871.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2009/post-6209-1237724871.jpg

Last one - promise !! During the 1st.WW so many Police joined the Services that they were left only with small numbers. The War Reserve Police were formed - in nearly every town - the big problem was that they had no uniforms. Each man was issued with a truncheon, an identifying lapel badge and an arm band - saying he was a constable. These varied from force to force and are now very collectable - and unlike some items are not too expensive. Sometimes they made the badge to hang from a button. After the war each constable - at least in the midlands - receive a commemorative truncheon with a transfer of the town arms - these are highly collected.

Mervyn

p.s. can anyone delete the SA helmet where the wording didn't come out ?

Would this be something similar to the Civic Guard that formed part of the South African Police before WW1 and continued into WW2? Over 3000 of them participated in the 1922 strike in Johannesburg as well? Very interesting item.

Will

Very similar - although the civic guard also had military jobs - i.e. guarding power stations , docks etc.. We also have a reserve for the S.A.P. -which is still active, but I must look-up when it was formed. My problem is that I carry this info. in my head and at my age that's not always wise !!!

Mervyn

Will

Very similar - although the civic guard also had military jobs - i.e. guarding power stations , docks etc.. We also have a reserve for the S.A.P. -which is still active, but I must look-up when it was formed. My problem is that I carry this info. in my head and at my age that's not always wise !!!

Mervyn

Please do that, I have a tunic to the Civic Guard, which is post World War One, that I will also post sometime.

Merv, a little off subject here but I thought this item would link in well. A World War 2 issued Special Constables armband for the Kent County Constabulary which I had until recently in my collection.

This armband is manufactured from a waxed parchment type material with a flimsy black elastic and metal hook fixing.

I would imagine that as with the Great War era there was a sudden need for extra Policing and this armband would have been a cheap way to 'uniform' volunteers.

The blue ink stamp has sadly faded but shows it was issued by the Deputy Chief Constables Office of Kent County Constabularly in 1941.

Very interesting - you see lots of ARP armbands - but, for the 2nd WW special constables are not common. I have found - since joining - that GMIC has an incredible amount of knowledge and expertise amongst it's members. I doubt that there are many subjects that couldn't be answered.

Mervyn

• 1 month later...

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2009/post-6209-1237724871.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2009/post-6209-1237724871.jpg

Last one - promise !! During the 1st.WW so many Police joined the Services that they were left only with small numbers. The War Reserve Police were formed - in nearly every town - the big problem was that they had no uniforms. Each man was issued with a truncheon, an identifying lapel badge and an arm band - saying he was a constable. These varied from force to force and are now very collectable - and unlike some items are not too expensive. Sometimes they made the badge to hang from a button. After the war each constable - at least in the midlands - receive a commemorative truncheon with a transfer of the town arms - these are highly collected.

Mervyn

p.s. can anyone delete the SA helmet where the wording didn't come out ?

Any one ever seen one like this from any other force, its the only one I have ever seen all others are black or is it just that its Reading that it is red. I have various others if you want me to post them hereor you can view them on my web page.