News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RARE PUBLIC OFFICE TIPSTAFF

I broke my promise - sorry !! However, it's taken me three days - and a computer expert - to find out how to download pictures - so, my motto - strike while I can remember..

This is not the rarest piece in the collection - many of those have now gone - however, it is an important part of our British police heritage. The first Public Office was set-up at Bow Street in 1748 and ran under the Fielding Brothers (of Tom Jones fame) for many years - it included the Bow Street Mounted Patrol, the Bow Street Runners and of course, the magistrate, three constables and their helpers. They also had cells and a matron for the women prisoners.

Bow Street was so succesful that in 1792 a further 7 Public Offices were established in different parts of London. One of them was at Shadwell - which is immediately to the East of the Tower of London and included a very rough part of the East End.

This tipstaff has the hallmark for 1802 and is engraved 'CONSTABLE OF SHADWELL' . One has to understand that a magistrate had different functions in those days and was also directly in charge of his police officers (if you have seen 'Treasure Island' you will remember the magistrate arrives to take charge with his constables) - so, although he is referred to as Constable, it is the magistrate they mean. Anything to do with the early Offices is rare and valuable - about ?4000 ! Will try to show the top in next post. Mervyn

This is the head of the Magistrate's tipstaff for Shadwell. A lovely George 111 crown - hallmarked for 1802 and all silver - made by a famous silversmith of his day.

Should anyone be interested I could go into more details with the early public offices. Out of interest -the first time the word POLICE was used officially, was in the Dublin Police Act - of, I think, 1792.

Mervyn