News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Staffordshire Police - a history and items from my collection

Today a friend of mine suggested that it may be a "horse brass" rather than a martingale badge.

I'm not sure of the proper term but a horse brass is fastened to the harness to decorate it for parades etc.

Regarding emigrants. I try not to get up set about them as eventually I'll look in a mirror and see yet another one and he looks just like me. :lol:

Regards

Brian

• Replies 166
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian - I have given the probable answer for that date - the alternative is it is a copy ? Horse brasses are decorative on civilian heavy horse

harness. They wouldn't use a Crowned badge as an ornament. If people think this is not right - then let them prove-it. Mervyn

The last of the three is what I concider a gem in my collection. It is the Chief Officer's Hat Badge. Both the blue and the green areas are enamel and the badge is held on by two claws. Once inserted into the cap these are bent (not spread) as the claws are one piece, not two, like the Officer's pattern shown earlier.

Brian,

I've been looking back through your postings in respect of Staffordshire Police and came across this one which is not altogether accurate. What you have is not the Chief Constable's cap badge but a warrant badge which is issued to every officer in Staffordshire Police. The badge is affixed to the leather warrant card holder. The green & blue "enamelling" is in fact plastic. If you look at my attached photo you will see the warrant badge (which you have) on the right hand side. On the left hand side you will see the "ACPO" (Chief Officer) ranks cap badge. This is in sterling silver with hard fired enamelling and a felt backing to the Staffs. knott. This particular badge was given to me by a Staffordshire Police Assistant Chief Constable who I was fortunate to meet when on a course at the Staff College in 1989. This is the badge being worn by Chief Constable Kelly whose photo you append in another of your postings. I hope this clarifies things for you and others who may have mistaken the warrant badge for a senior officers' cap badge.

Dave.

Thank you for the correction Dave, I have made the changes to the original post.

For those interested, what turned out to be a warrant card badge is quite flat, or thin, compaired with a standard cap badge.

So as well as the points Dave makes being thinner is another clue to the identification.

Dave, it looks as if there is little difference between the cap badge I posted in post #26, other than quality of material and the green backing, and the "ACPO" (Chief Officer). A collector looking for the higher rank cap badge should probably take these differences into consideration before handing over too much cash for what is being offered as a Chief Officer's cap badge.

As many of us know at times accurate information is just not available to us and we count of the membership to point out errors when they encounter them. This allows the forum to be a good source of information to other collectors and I really appreciate this input.

Thanks again Dave.

Regards

Brian

Brian,

The additional points which you mention are well made. The "Chief Officer" badges are easily identifiable in that they are usually marked "sterling" on the reverse or are actually hallmarked and because they are silver and prone to tarnishing they tend to appear "dull" when placed alongside a chrome plated (Inspectorate ranks) version. Such badges were commonly issued to ranks above Chief Inspector in many English & Welsh forces but the high cost has in most cases resulted in the expensive silver badges being replaced with the much cheaper silver plated or chrome plated versions of the same design. Alas, a sign of changing times!

Dave.

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 years later...

Hello Brian,

Any additions to your Staffordshire collection?

Here is an interesting Staffordshire Police Training photograph with my late father who passed away a year ago today, almost to the hour. He is seen here in the middle row, the forth from the left and has the new open neck type tunic. (PC 80 Alan E Swain) I guessed this was pre 1965 due to the City of Peterborough cap badge he is wearing.

It would be very interesting to know if any of these lads & gals are still around, and to put names to faces.

Cheers!

Laurence (Swainys Boy)

http://alan.swain.me.uk/

Staffordshire Police Training.jpg

Staffordshire Police Training Reverse.jpg

Another Staffordshire Police Training Photograph with Dad on the back row in the middle.

Interestingly most cap badges as well as being Staffordshire, have the Queens Crown but only three including Dads City of Peterborough cap badge, still have the old Kings Crown badges. Peterborough never had a Queens Crown cap badge.

This would date the photo to around and between 1952 to 1965 when Dads badge would have then been replaced with the Mid Anglia Constabulary badge.

Again... Names to faces anyone?

Staffordshire Police Training 2.jpg

Hi Laurence,

Thanks for posting the photos; I too think they are quite interesting and having your father in the groups is a plus.  Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  A friend from Australia and I spent some time looking at the photos and discussing them during a Skype visit and then I forgot to reply to your posts.  I would blame old age but that would make me "old" for the past 60 some odd years. LOL

Take care and may you and yours have a very merry Christmas

Regards

Brian

• 4 years later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    On 12/04/2021 at 11:59, Steuart Campbell said:

My grandfather John Campbell was in the Stafforshire Police most of his working life, ending up as Superintendant of the Handsworth Division. I have a news paper report of his life and some family records. Where would I find the police's own records of investigations? 

Handsworth was transferred from Staffordshire and incorporated into the City of Birmingham (Warwickshire) in 1911.

• 8 months later...
    On 28/03/2009 at 15:47, Brian Wolfe said:

Hello Everyone,

This is a cloth patch that was issued to the Staffordshire Police service who were serving during the Queen's Jubilee. This commemoritive patch was worn on the lower sleeve and measures 45mm in diameter. These disapeared from use as new jackets were issues to replace worn ones and the patches were usually not transferred to the new jacket by the officers.

Regards

Brian,

just leafing back through your thread here and I a

On 28/03/2009 at 15:47, Brian Wolfe said:

Hello Everyone,

This is a cloth patch that was issued to the Staffordshire Police service who were serving during the Queen's Jubilee. This commemoritive patch was worn on the lower sleeve and measures 45mm in diameter. These disapeared from use as new jackets were issues to replace worn ones and the patches were usually not transferred to the new jacket by the officers.

Regards

Brian

post-1801-1238255269.jpg

post-1801-1238255269.jpg

Just leafing back through this thread Brian and I can add something to this post.

this badge was worn on the lower left sleeve of our tunics and “nato” sweaters back in the day. Not sure if its still worn, but it represents the freedom of the borough of Stafford awarded to all officers at some point in the past.
    Apparently it conferred the right to March through Stafford with drawn swords or to herd livestock through the town! Personally I never took up either option. 

Glenn

On 12/04/2021 at 11:59, Steuart Campbell said:

My grandfather John Campbell was in the Stafforshire Police most of his working life, ending up as Superintendant of the Handsworth Division. I have a news paper report of his life and some family records. Where would I find the police's own records of investigations? 

Hi Steuart, 

I believe your grandfather is also my (great) grandfather. Speaking to my mother, and the records I've found, I think there is John James Campbell, who was at Thornhill Rd, Handsworth, as well his father John Campbell, who was in Penkridge. I would love to see the newspaper records if possible.

Also it seems staffordshire council are able to provide records for officers but would need employment dates which unfortunately I do not have