News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

More Burma/Myanmar unknowns

JBFloyd

• 3 months later...
    • Replies 101
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I would share my first group of Myanmar medals. One is a group of three with the first one having what looks like a palm leaf attachment to it - any ideas what this would be for? 

I paid a total of $12 for all four and have the miniatures for the group of three which cost $1.00. I  have seen lots of other medals in the markets but mostly without ribbons.

If I manage to find and buy more will post

C

Belated thanks to Emmanuel who has once again brought us a treasure trove of information from another obscure corner of the world.  How do you do it?

In admiration, 

Hugh

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all

please find my small but growing collection of Myanmar medal. I would also appreciate any assistance in identifying the awards.

I  have noticed that trying to buy awards in Myanmar is very mixed as there are a few basic medals displayed on market stall, but the higher end or better items are still very guarded and it takes a level of trust for them to be shown to you. If the seller trusts and likes you and you don't try and drive prices too low they will by all accounts try and get more for you on the next visit to them. I have even had a seller offer me three more Order of the Star of Revolution 3rd class which I am thinking of buying.

In regards to the value of Myanmar is there any guide in regards to market value?

regards and thanks

C

' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="793px" height="750px">

' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="562px" height="750px">

' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="572px" height="750px">

' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="404px" height="750px">

' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="793px" height="750px">

' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="404px" height="750px">

' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="572px" height="750px">

' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="562px" height="750px">

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would share my latest purchases, hope to find some more on my next visit

I have also found out that there is different variations to a lot of the more common medals including any are dated for certain years, even for long service

I have found 2 different variations of the Order of the Star of Revolution in both 2nd and 3rd classes 

regards

C

' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="705px">

' alt='' class='ipsImage' width="1000px" height="705px">

Hi Paul

yes info is very hard to find even in Myanmar not many people can correctly translate the back of the medals, nor tell you what they are given for.

The large gold award is a golden jubilee award for the armed forces from 1945 - 1995. What is it given for still not sure, but have been told not vey common and normally given to higher ranking members of the military

I am hoping to find a ex military serviceman who maybe able to help with some more info on Myanmar awards. Earlier dated awards such as the 1980's are also not as common as awards given in the 1990's on, and sounds like anything after 2000 is not dated as much

regards

C

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to share a couple of new medals I found today

The star I have been informed is a police medal, maybe for bravery and is dated 1987, the second is a Military Officers College / academy 50th Jubilee medal with the dates 1954 - 2004

I hope to have them translated tomorrow and will share if I can get this done

C

20150417_155011_resized.jpg

20150417_155028_resized.jpg

The star reads - National Police Service Medal 1988

The medal reads - Defence Service academy golden jubilee 1954 - 2004

Both I have been informed where not issued in great numbers and are very hard to find

regards 

Edited by cazack
    addition or text

Hi all

just wanted to share what I have been able to find on visits to Myanmar.i have noticed that there are just the usual medals around now and anything on ribbons is becoming hard to find.and any groups much the same

regards

Caz

20150425_160037_resized.jpg

20150425_155115_resized.jpg

20150425_155416_resized.jpg

20150425_155803_resized.jpg

20150425_155920_resized.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is a picture of another Sithmuhtan That (with 4 white stripe at right hand side & 5 star on the enameled green bar).

That green bar is suppose to be related to the current army rank (not 100 % sure).

Below are ribbon bars with Sithmuhtan That ribbon on 2 row from bottom at right hand side, ounce with 3 white, ounce with 2 white stripes.

So now you can see exemple of ribbon with 4, 3, 2 white stripes at right hand side (and a very tiny white stripe at left).

To add to the mystery, the group posted above is a Sithmuhtan That with NO white stripe at right hand side , but with 2 very small white line at left hand side.

Maybe different ribbon for NCO & for Officer ? Even having visiting their brand new Army Museum in Nay Pyi taw is not so easy to understand.

It seems there was a system of awards before to 1962 Ne Win Revolution, one for the period 1962-1990....with some changes, and since 1990 there was some new changes in the shapes and ribbons.

Emmanuel

post-5264-0-26893400-1411811789.jpg

post-5264-0-59170000-1411811825.jpg

post-5264-0-28969700-1411811845.jpg

in regards to the Sithmuhtan That medal the small strip means 5 years service for each stripe, the thick strip means 10 years service

regards

Caz

• 10 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...

hello all

thought I would share my newest find in regards to Myanmar medals

This is the first time I have seen this medal, the translation on the pin bar reads

" In Honour of Armed Forces Day"

I have been told this is a very un common medal

regards

Caz

20160603_194713.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hello Gentlemen,

Nice contribution of Antonio with color photo of the highest Awards of Burma/Myanmar.

On my last visit a year ago, I got this Title badge (see first photo, it's a similar to the one on the upper row at right hand side). Unfortunately suspension was broken, but I bought it. You cannot come across these just by random…..(I've been to Rangoon 7 times).

Size of that badge (without suspension….) : 62 x 60 Millimeters.

But Watch carefully the photos provided by Antonio and the black and white photo that was provided by Dragomir years ago, whatch the 3 medals on second row at left (not the last one at right hand side of 2nd row). In January 1979, these 3 Awards were breast badges, now they are neck badges (compare the centers on the photo provided by Antonio today).

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel

Myanmar-1.jpg

Burma Title obverse.jpg

Burma Title reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

• 5 years later...

Hello Gentlemen,

Hello Damian,

In real one of these Title badge I was shown a better photo, it looks like this. On the board presentation photo ( bottom row at left ). Thiri Pyanchi Title. Sadly I was not in SE Asia at the time, so deal was not able to be done, and as it is very heavy almost pure gold (voice recorded message quote a weight of about 99 grammes but as I never got in hands I cannot confirm), price was above the price of what would be a Garter Breast Star in Auction in London. But still I think it's the best ever close up photo I have got. Better to got the photo than got nothing.

Regards.

Emmanuel

Burma Thiri Pyanchi Title Neck Order in Gold obverse.jpg

Burma Thiri Pyanchi Title Neck Order in Gold reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Others good photo of such High Title don't come so easy.

Here is a photo of General Min Aung Hlaing Tharay Sithu Title.

We can't figure out how heavy this Title neck badge is, but there is 99,99 % chance it's almost pure gold.

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel

Burma General Min Aung Hlaing with Tharay Sithu Title Order.jpeg

Capture d’écran 2023-11-26 à 15.11.17.png