News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pre-1947 Indian Single Medals

Muleteer Chundiah Singh, 3rd Levy Punjab Muleteers

Abyssinian War Medal, 1869 - Muleteer Chundiah Sing 3rd Levy P Muleteers

Sent out to Ethiopia: 8 Jemadars, 7 Daffadars, 403 Drivers, 1 Mate. Somehow, there had been confusion and theh mule drivers had gotten the idea they were to be combat troops and there was a near mutiny once they reached Ethiopia.

467 Naik Basawa Singh. No. 2 (Derajat) Mountain Battery, P.F.F.

Central Africa Medal, 1891-98 "CENTRAL AFRICA 1894-98" - 467 Naick Basawa Singh. No. 2 Batty.

The 2nd MB claimed 5 medals, he was the senior NCO present. For 14 separate expeditions, January 1894-April 1898. He served: (1) Matapauiri, September 1895; (2) the expedition against Chikusi, October 1896; and (3) the expedition against Chief Mpeseni of the Chimpingo, January-February 1898.

Burma Gallantry Medal

Named: 61314 A/HAVILDAR-MAJOR SA BAW GAM. THE BURMA REGT.

Kachin, from village Jakhandap, district Bhamo.

London Gazette, 19 July 1945, p. 3719, "in the field": "No. 61314, Havildar-Major (acting) Sa Baw Gam, The Burma Regiment"

Citation, from WO 373/98/487:

"During the period October 1942 to April 1944, this soldier carried out many months continuous and volunteer patrolling in Japanese occupied territory as much as 150 miles in advance of our troops. For six months he was senior NCO of the patrol, and owing to his knowledge of Burmese was the one mainly employed in plain clothes for contacting villagers. Working in conditions of extreme physical and nervous strain, he carried out these duties even when the patrol was being closely pursued and he was under nervous tension amounting almost to terror. He was one of the patrol which was accompanied to INDAW in November 1943 by an R.E. Lt.Colonel (who was awarded an immediate D.S.O. for the visit) and which stayed on patrol around that area for 4 months after the Lt.Col.'s returnm to the British lines."

According to other information with the medal (apparently from an interview with his wife?), he escaped from Burma by boat in August 1942, being at sea with no food for eight days before reaching Calcutta. He was there enlisted in (Z) Force and received gas, parachute, and intelligence training. He returned to Burma on several occasions (sometimes by parachute) and worked behind Japanese lines. After WWII he joined the 3rd Kachin Rifles and rose to the rank of 2/Lt. He retired and died in February 1992.

Khan Sahib Arbab Mohd Ayub Khan. Deputy Superintendent of Police, Punjab

Indian Police Medal, George VI, for distinguished conduct

Gazette of India, 2 January 1939:

"Khan Sahib Arbab Mohd Ayub Khan is an Afghan of the Peshawar district. He joined the Police as a Probationary Sub. Inspector in 1909 and held non-gazetted appointments until February 1919, when he was appointed to officiate as Deputy Superintendent of Police. He was confirmed in this rank in February 1923. He was commended on numerous occasions during his non-gazetted period of service, and in January 1930, he was awarded the title of Khan Sahib. During the course of his 29 years served, this officer has shown himself to be possessed of strength of character and ability above the average, and has maintained an excellent reputation for integrity and impartiality. In February 1938 the communal relations in the Kaithal sub-division, Karnal district, became seriously strained over the question of kine slaughter. In one village over 1,000 Hindu Jats collected to prevent kine slaughter on the occasion of Id. Mohammedans also collected and a very threatening situation arose. It was entirely owing to the tact courage and resource displayed by Khan Sahib Arbab Mohd Ayub Khan that the outbreak of a serious riot was prevented. His energetic action was all the more creditable in view of the fact that he is 52 years of age."

Dost Kumal, Bengal Sappers and Miners

Ghazni Medal, 1839 -- For the defence of Ghazni, 21-23 July 1839. Originally an Afghan award, but after the fall of Amir Dost Muhammad it was "Adopted" by the East India Company. The Queen had extended her permission for Crown troops to wear the Afghan medal in March 1841. In accuracy, it should probably be treated as an Afghan medal, though its status is ambiguous.

The 2nd and 3rd companies of Bengal Sappers and Miners served in the Bengal Column, under Maj-Gen. Sir W. Cotton.

Sowar Lachman Singh, Fane's Horse

Second China War Medal, 1857-60 - TAKU FORTS 1860, PEKIN 1860 - SOWAR LUTCHMAN SING, REGt of FANE'S HORSE.

Regiment raised for service overseas at the outbreak of the Second China War and was filled with volunteers, as was the custom for Indian units pressed to "cross the black water." Together with Probyn's Horse it stormed the Taku Forts in August 1859 and continued on to Peking, where it was in the van of the final cavalry attack that routed the Manchu and Mongol horsemen from the city, earning five Indian Orders of Merit for its more impressive members. (Of whom Lachman Singh was NOT one, alas.)

Maharana Gambhir Singhji II of Rajpilpla

Visit of the Prince of Wales to India, 1875-76, silver - No. 11 MAHARANA GUMBHIR SINHJI RAJA OF RAJPIPLA

Maharana Gambhir Singhji II (b. 1847, r. 1860-10 January 1897, son of predecessor)

A total of 165 silver medals were minted.

Efficiency Medal, "INDIA", type collection

Partially duplicating things shown above, nevertheless . . . .

1- George V - CPL. C. H. JEREMIAH, DELHI CONTGT. A. F. I. - despite the name, probbaly not a European, I'd bet on Anglo-Indian so, therefore, legitimate for my collection

2- George V with additional bar for extra service - SEP. KALA, 11-13 F. F. RIF., I. T. F. - Unusual to an India and even more unusual with the second-award clasp, indicating twenty-four years of service. Wish there was some useful research direction. (Or is there?)

3- George VI - HAV-MAJ. BARKAT SINGH 11 SIKHS R. (I.T.F.)

• 1 month later...

Sepoy ___ Chund, 5th or Sirmoor Rifle Battalion

First Sikh War, Aliwal, clasp Sobraon. A nice early Gorkha-gong. A shame the naming is bashed; will need to seek roll in Delhi. Named: "SE _____ R CHUND. 5th or SIRMOOR RIFLE BATTn".

Efficiency Medal, "INDIA", type collection

2- George V with additional bar for extra service - SEP. KALA, 11-13 F. F. RIF., I. T. F. - Unusual to an India and even more unusual with the second-award clasp, indicating twenty-four years of service. Wish there was some useful research direction. (Or is there?)

I believe the I.T.F. was instituted to be the Indian equivalent to the A.F.I., and as with the British Territorials they were battalions of the regular regiments. Originally they were all the 11th Bn. (to leave room for wartime raisings) but I believe that 1939-45 some regiments raised a 12th I.T.F. Bn. I need to check my reference sources. I think Donovan Jackson has some information.

The Mahratta Regt. had two I.T.F. Bns. 11/5 12/5

Edited by Michael Johnson

I believe the I.T.F. was instituted to be the Indian equivalent to the A.F.I., and as with the British Territorials they were battalions of the regular regiments. Originally they were all the 11th Bn. (to leave room for wartime raisings) but I believe that 1939-45 some regiments raised a 12th I.T.F. Bn. I need to check my reference sources. I think Donovan Jackson has some information.

John Gaylor's book treats this in some detail, Michael. There are some efforts at serious research now underway to fill in the gaps left by Gaylor.

• 2 months later...

Here's my only india 1895 service medal. I

t's named to (note: Probably misread and misspelled badly): 1375 sepoy pir boilish 5th pjb infy. Any thoughts?

Sam.

Very Nice, Sam! I've always loved the IGS medals - both good looking and generally representing some fairly serious service in "Queen Victoria's little wars"! 5th Punjabis were a Frontier Force unit (a.k.a. Vaughan's Rifles) - one of the tough bunch who garrisoned the frontier with Afghanistan and were, at least in theory, a quick reaction force 100 years before that term was invented!

Nice gong!

Peter

Here's my only india 1895 service medal. I

t's named to (note: Probably misread and misspelled badly): 1375 sepoy pir boilish 5th pjb infy. Any thoughts?

Sam.

Nice, though the name is indeed most odd. Any chance (and I know full well how difficult it is) of scanning the naming in a couple of pieces? Reading this running script is a bit of an acquired skill.

Ed