News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungary - WW2 Air Force Dress Daggers

Szia Janos!

Thanks for posting your daggers - perhaps with my statements I am gun-shy as the maker marked ones I ever saw all had issues with them. I never felt comfortable purchasing a maker marked blade esp after other collectors warned me against them - they probably had the same mind set to avoid the maker marked items. One factor that I would like to point out is the maker marks. I am not questioning your belief or knowledge about this but making one reason why I avoided them with maker marks.

- the maker marked balde you showed from Koz?k Antal - the makers stamp is "incomplete" and the serial numbers are crude. I always find it hard to accept that if my company would put a stamp or "advertisement" on a product - that it would be poor, or ugly in appearance. One sees this in 3rd Reich reproductions all the time - but very rarely in actual period items. In all the fakes by Ungarn and Horvath we see the same "good" quality - but not the type one would expect from the period of WW2. The Magyar people are a proud people and the items from WW2 are very well manufactured - even up to about the 1950's you see a quality in the work - but when you get to the "Kadar ido" and even today, the quality is forgotten. This is why I always avoid the poorly marked blades. Again - you have probably more experinece with these items than I do and you may be correct - I just want you to understnad my statements and reasons for them.

- the etching done to your offciers blades is very unique and was done by hand and doen during the war - you can certainly see this in the quality. The modern etching is an acid type with the names done by a rotray engraver.

Please post more - esp the screw type eagle head as I dont have an example of that to show. :jumping:

Udv!

• 5 months later...
    • Replies 72
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Péter,

congratulation, you have a very nice dagger. Are you sure it is an NCO version? Have all the silver finish gone from the fittings?

Let me share with you my latest addition to my collection.

It is an NCO dagger - unfortunately the scabbard release button is missing.

Nickel plated plain blade without maker mark.

Hope you like it.

János

Edited by Janos

Hello János!

Well, i´m pretty sure the dagger i have is a NCO one. It´s not so nice and chromed like yours but the distinctions for the NCO dagger is there.

The release button is not "buillt in" like in the officers daggers as well as the marks on the holster that doesn´t have the cross pattern that the holster of the officers has.

Here´s some detailed photos..

• 1 year later...

Valsente,

I am not knowledgable enough in this area to comment on your dagger but I would like to welcome you to the forum. Hopefully one of our other members can comment on your dagger.

Regards,

Gordon

Thanks a lot Gordon for your welcome. I hope so.unsure.gif

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...

Hunyadi & Janos,

I know this thread is old, but I'm hoping one of you guys can help me. I picked up this Hungarian Air Force dagger with a lot of about 10 other German TR daggers from a collector. All of the German items are good (authentic) and based on what I see in this thread, mine is as well. I'd still like to get your opinions on it regardless.

Also, why do I see a reddish tint in the grooves of the dagger's pommel, cross guard and scabbard? Is that normal?

hungarian1.jpg

hungarian2.jpg

hungarian3.jpg

hungarian4.jpg

hungarian6.jpg

hungarian7.jpg

hungarian8.jpg

Thanks!

Dzyner

I collect all types of WW2 relics, with a specialty in German SS Daggers.

Hello Dzyner,

welcome to the forum.

Your dagger is 100% original and beautiful.

The TM, the scabbard release button, the blade, the screw on the pommel, etc are absolutely authentic.

Congratulation.

You have a great dagger!

Best regards,

Janos

PS: Regarding to the reddish tint in the grooves of the dagger's pommel, cross guard and scabbard - well, I don't know what it is. I've seen it on several original daggers, but I am not a chemist. Metals, reactions, etc are not my territory.

Edited by Janos

• 1 month later...

Hi Janos!

I apologize for the delay in replying. For some reason I never received an email that you replied.

Thanks so much for your feedback, glad to hear it's a good one! That makes my day :)