News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pilots Graduation jeton

GeorgeCL

Hi Chris,

The word jeton, jetton is a term used to describe a small hanging decoration..

I think the term originates in france.

Russian jetons were usually worn hanging from a button hole on the uniforn and as a watch fob for civil wear.

I have some photos I'll post when I find them.

From my understanding jetons originated before the issue of badges for military schools and acadmeys

George

Hi George, thanks for explaining that. One question I have been too embarassed to ask over the last few years. Every time I saw the term being used it just looked like any other medal to me. First time I've seen anything like the wings before!!

As an aside, I'm pretty pleased to see so much activity in here and I am enjoying learning about this interesting (and oft overlooked perhaps) segment of history.

Hi Rick,

No problem.

I remember, Not too long ago either. I was talking with another collector of militaria and he used the term jeton..I had no idea what the h... he was talking about. So I bit the bullet and asked..

I guess thats the only way..since we are at it What is a FRACHNIK..I assume a MINI badge/award.?

Thanks

George

Hi Rick,

No problem.

I remember, Not too long ago either. I was talking with another collector of militaria and he used the term jeton..I had no idea what the h... he was talking about. So I bit the bullet and asked..

I guess thats the only way..since we are at it What is a FRACHNIK..I assume a MINI badge/award.?

Thanks

George

Hey ... FRACHNIK? I think it does mean a miniature award intended to be worn on other than a uniform. HOWEVER ... I don't have an authority for that.

Most of my collecting has been in the nation of Georgia and with Georgian friends and collectors. Frachnik is a term they always used to describe those miniatures, and I just picked it up. Like many diminuitives, the word isn't in my Russian dictionary. However, it does show the word Фрачн/ый -- adj. of фрак, then фрак -- tail-coat, tails. I can just barely get my mind around using the word to describe a miniature award, something to be worn on formal wear, i.e. "Tails". Until this post, I never gave it a single thought. It could just be a colloquialism, I suppose.

I hope it doesn't turn out to mean "reclining chair" or something like that. Really, I learned this word from them and I've used it for several years. This is the first time anyone ever said "Just what the heck does that mean?" Good question.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck In Oregon

Hi Chuck,

I'm sure you are correct on the meaning, MINI.

I have seen the term used alot on ebay, and usually by russian/eastblock sellers.

I just wanted to be sure..at first I had thought it was a maker.

So if you have more Frachnik's please post them. I like the reduced awards..sometimes they have better detail that standard sized pieces.

Thanks

George

Hi George, thanks for explaining that. One question I have been too embarassed to ask over the last few years. Every time I saw the term being used it just looked like any other medal to me. First time I've seen anything like the wings before!!

As an aside, I'm pretty pleased to see so much activity in here and I am enjoying learning about this interesting (and oft overlooked perhaps) segment of history.

I agree with both comments.

Thanks to you guys for making this a very interesting forum. I really enjoy learning about Russian Imperial awards of all kind, so don?t think, the lack of comments is due to lacking interest, only due to lacking knowledge.

Gerd

Edited by Gerd Becker

George, that is an absolutely terrific photo!

Do I understand that he is a Cavalier of the Order of St. George? And an aviator, too? Tell us, is this one of your relatives? If he is, please tell us everything that you know about him. If not, do you have his name? He must be in the cavalier books, right? And, may I ask, is he wearing the exact same jeton that you previously posted?

I have some pretty interesting early aviation items. You have a museum.

Chuck