News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy - Medals relating to Albania

On 3/5/2009 at 00:50, Bob said:

First row: Commendatore dell'Ordine dei Santi Maurizio e Lazzaro / Grande Ufficiale dell'Ordine della Corona d'Italia / Commendatore dell'Ordine Coloniale della Stella d'Italia

Second row: Commander in the Order of Scanderbeg / Sovrano Militare Ordine di Malta, Ordine di S. Giovanni di Gerusalemme, di Rodi e di Malta / 'Order of the German Eagle' (Nazi award) / x

Third row: Bulgarian Order of Civil Merit? / 'Vatican Order of St Sylvester' / Ordine Equestre del Santo Sepolcro di Gerusalemme / Romanian Order of the Crown (knight?)

===============

Great - thanks. That just leaves one mystery ribbon!

The missing ribbon (central row, last from right) is the Hungary, Order of Merit !  This make sense in an Italian ribbon rack !

• 7 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Just to add further info regarding Col. Mario Stampacchia, whose award document of the Skanderbeg Order was posted by Bob, I would like to say that this officer received two Silver and one Bronze medals for military valour, during WW1

• 2 weeks later...
    On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2009 at 23:45, Bob said:

So, finally started to dabble in the pre-communist Albania(-related) awards.

Here's a nice set of miniatures:

- United Italy 1848-1918

- Royal Tombs Veteran Guard of Honour Medal

- Victory Medal 1918

- Czechoslovakia War Cross 1918

- Albanian Order of Scanderbeg (reverse centre makers plate ?Raviolo e Gardino, Roma?)

Could somebody please shed some light on the second medal - what's that exactly for? EDIT: and light came: In 1878, King Vittorio Emanuele II, first king of a united Italy, was buried in the Pantheon in Rome rather than in the family crypt of the Savoy ruling family. On 9 August 1900, his son, King Umberto I was also interred there. A guard of honour drawn from veterans was mounted at the tombs and the medal awarded to participants in recognition of their service.

IMG_3036.JPG

Bob,

From Gillingham's book, "Italian Order of Chivalry and Medals of Honour" in the American Numismatic Library.

Regards,

Owain.

MEDAL FOR VETERANS GUARDING THE TOMB OF THE KINGS. This medal was authorized on July 14, 1879, and altered on January 1, 1880. It was established to honour the veterans of the war of 1848-1849 who guarded the tomb of Victor Emmanuel II. It is 30 mm. in diameter and of silver. The ribbon is blue with a white stripe in the centre, with one edge green and the other red. The first model has on the obverse a wreath of laurel with a superimposed, five-pointed star bearing at the centre the bust of the King and the words UMBERTO I° RE D'ITALIA; on the reverse, VETERANI 1848-49 / GUARDIA D'ONORE / ALLA TOMBA DEL RE / VITTORIO EMANUELE II After the death of Humbert I, Victor Emmanuel III altered the medal. The obverse bore his own bust and title, and the reverse read /AI/VETERANI 1848-1870 / GUARDIA D'ONORE / ALLE TOMBE DI RE / VITTORIO EMANUELE II / E UMBERTO I .

• 1 month later...