News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Show Your Japanese Medal Hallmarks & Maker's Marks

Gunjinantiques

So it seems clear that the "M" is an Osaka Mint mark. But what might be the significance of the other marks? Are these possibly similar to the way Japanese weapons have been marked where characters denote a specific series for a serial# range, arsenal, or an actual person's personal inspection mark? Were there other mint locations operating under supervision by the Osaka mint?

Edited by Dieter3

So it seems clear that the "M" is an Osaka Mint mark. But what might be the significance of the other marks? Are these possibly similar to the way Japanese weapons have been marked where characters denote a specific series for a serial# range, arsenal, or an actual person's personal inspection mark? Were there other mint locations operating under supervision by the Osaka mint?

The short answer is that nobody knows. This requires a level of original research which is almost akin to what is done with ancient coins in trying to identify mint issues etc. I have not been able to find any information on this in the public domain in Japan so I suspect the information may be lost to time.

Has anybody ever tried contacting the current mint? I know a lot of records were destroyed during the war years, but I wonder if connections remain to people that may have worked there (if anybody is still living!)?

There always has to be "something" left; it couldn't have all been destroyed. Records would have been duplicated to some point and some records probably exist somewhere. The problem is (only my opinion and don't mean sh1t), this is virtually a non-priority for anyone in government that might have access to records and then, where do you start?

Who cares about something that is half a centrury old already and of a time that most current population could honestly care less about or want to forget. One day, some old guy cleaning out some storage shelf in some old government building will come across some old archive documents and by chance someone else that collects, or knows someone who does, will "discover" the ultimate source of information. Until then, unless someone with a buddy that could authorize access and have a lot of time on their hands to really DIG for this information, it will not happen.

Again, only expressing my view. Government is government, doesn't matter what country we're talking about.

Tim

Who cares about something that is half a centrury old already and of a time that most current population could honestly care less about or want to forget. One day, some old guy cleaning out some storage shelf in some old government building will come across some old archive documents and by chance someone else that collects, or knows someone who does, will "discover" the ultimate source of information.

And if it does exist, you can only hope that the one involved don't discard it as old garbage..... :speechless1: Wouldn't it be nice to know people in power? Need an inside person!! I think you're right, information is likely to exist somewhere, either on paper, or in the back of some person's mind.

I do know information like this can be difficult to obtain with regards to weapons/small arms, but many of the books do cite human connections that have garnered information - people that knew, were there, or otherwise had something to do with manufacturing, at least in the days leading up to WWII....

Hi Dieter,

Well, considering we see so many near pristine Japanese awards and documents for sale all the time is a testament that some things did in fact survive the war and in decent shape. I know when I was stationed in Yokosuka back in the 1990's, I would talk to communication types that worked up "on the hill" that said all kinds of stuff WWII related was still being found in various underground tunnels in and around the area. I know they were doing a lot of underground construction at the time I ws getting short, so who knows how many of these underground facilities there were spread throughout the country?

Has to be something, maybe nothing more than a booklet or a notice sent from the mint to one of the distributors with a list of names and authorized marks similar to what the Germans did with LDO numbers. You would think anyway.

Tim

• 7 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

A men's Red Cross Life Member medal with the very common "井" hallmark, but nonetheless a nicely stamped one (kinda cool inside the circle) with the matched hallmark on the lapel rosette:

A men's Red Cross Life Member medal with the very common "井" hallmark, but nonetheless a nicely stamped one (kinda cool inside the circle) with the matched hallmark on the lapel rosette:

NICE ONE! Never seen that one before! Thanks for posting, now I gotta go check my rosettes!

I've got a special member's medal/rosette, both with the matching "井" kanji. Others that I have seen, though I do not have myself, are the "ス" hallmarks on both medals and rosettes - so I'm guessing there's a likelihood that these would typically be matched too. It makes sense a medal and rosette would have matching hallmarks. But then again, maybe just coincidence? All part of the mystery that makes the collecting that much more enjoyable! :lol:

• 12 years later...

Greetings,

12 years later, I have some additions to this topic. One for tonight, and first up an Order of the Rising Sun 8th Class with what I believe to be the kanji 美, BI as in bijin  美人 “a beautiful woman”. If I have the hallmark misidentified, then I welcome all corrections. Sorry, but the obverse and reverse photos aren’t that great.

Obverse:

ORS 8 Obv.jpg

Reverse:

ORS 8 Rev.jpg

Hallmark 美:

ORS 8 Hallmark.jpg

This is one of three marks that were used by Shobido workshop  

https://asiamedals.info/threads/mark-on-japanese-orders-who-and-when.25816/

See also https://asiamedals.info/threads/orders-of-rising-sun-with-mark.15057/

More on Japanese order and medal marks  

https://asiamedals.info/threads/makers-marks-of-japanese-orders-and-medals.14996/

Edited by JapanX

…and another one. This time an Order of the Sacred Treasure 8th class with the 幣 (hei) hallmark. Per the Medals of Asia website (https://asiamedals.info/threads/mark-on-japanese-order-who-and-when.15113/) this most likely comes from 造幣局 Zouheikyoku/mint. The known time coordinates are between December 11, 1931 and September 4, 1933.

Obverse:

OST 8 Obv.jpg

Reverse:

OST 8 Rev.jpg

Hallmark 幣 (hei):

OST 8 Hallmark.jpg

Today’s post with a hallmark: an Order of the Sacred Treasure, 5th class, for females. There are two screws on the reverse, one at the three o’clock and one at the nine o’clock. The hallmark “ll” is stamped on the reverse of the suspension ball. I note that on the Medals of Asia webpage for two letter and letter/digit marks (https://asiamedals.info/threads/two-letter-and-letter-digit-marks-on-japanese-orders-and-medals.13720/) 

there is no entry for “ll”. Nonetheless, per that webpage these marks began to occur in 1979 so I date this piece to 1979 or later.

I need to work on my photos. They are a little dark.

Obverse:

OST 5 Female Obv.jpg

Reverse:

OST 5 Female Rev.jpg

Hallmark “ll” on the rear of the suspension ball:

OST 5 Female Hallmark.jpg

Thank you Nick.

This installment of orders that I own with hallmarks is a post-2003 reform Order of the Sacred Treasure Silver Rays. At the 6 o’clock location on the reverse of the paulownia leaves is the hallmark J6. Although it might look like an 8 in my crappy photo, it is a 6.

Tracy

Obverse:

OST Silver Rays Obv.jpg

Reverse:

OST Silver Rays Rev.jpg

Hallmark J6:

OST Silver Rays Hallmark.jpg

Edited by TracA
    Removal or a word

This is my final installment of orders that I own with hallmarks, or at least my final installment until I purchase another such order.

This one is my favorite: Order of the Sacred Treasure 3rd Class, four rivets on the reverse in the usual location, and the hallmark ひ (hiragana “HI”) on the side of the bar attached to the leftmost short ray (just before 12h) and the loop through which the cravat loop runs.

Obverse:

OST 3 Obv.jpg

Reverse:

OST 3 Rev.jpg

Hallmark ひ (hiragana “HI”):

OST 3 Hallmark.jpg